Features you want in the HMAP remake

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
anonymusfish
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

If they would remake AP i would want:
-Same « Chicken Hugging » marriage
-Keep the rival system but the rivals only marry if you got married already (The special Bachelor/ettes are rivals too and have kids)
-More events
-More marriage options (For example Bo as a bachelor?)
-Keep the designs, maybe only outfit changes, nothing else (Let Mika Nunokawa work on the remake, not Matsuyama)
-Better open world (Like in go vacation)
-Better shading
-change the MCs Hairstyle and skin color
-Be able to change your kids hairstyles
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I haven’t played AP so I guess keep everything the same.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I couldn't bring myself to complete AP for how clunkily it played at the time, but if I could change one thing, I'd make it so it wasn't like trying to wring blood from a stone, to get FP from villagers and candidates. I even resorted to the...what was it called? The 'rubbing' trick? The thing you can do if you have two wiimotes hooked up. But even so, I gave up playing because it was just too, toooooo slow, raising FP.

I'd also like food effects in it so that you can do the things you could in Trio. Most notably being able to change the clock speed. Sometimes AP days were so long they felt like they'd been designed as a new form of drip torture.

I played a couple of seasons, so I don't know enough to make more wishes than that.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Was the clock really that slow? Something I might like as I hate speedy clocks
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I didn't time it out for myself, so I don't know *exactly*, but the AP clock is at least twice as slow (half as fast?) as the clock in ANB/SoS/Trio. SoS:FoMT's clock was blisteringly fast, of course...way too fast! It made me tenes. My preference is the three games I mentioned that I know for sure work on the 1 game hour = 1 RL minute clock, so that each day you play tends to last 12-20 real minutes, depending on how late you go to bed and how long you spend doing time-frozen thing like being in a menu, etc. One day taking half an hour to play through is too long, for me.

I just remember that it felt like the days really dragged in AP. And it took so long to try to get everyone up to just 2 hearts of FP that I ended up giving up. So those are definitely my two things...make it easier to raise FP, and give us options that let us control clock speed to some extent, like we could in Trio.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I would want faster animations for things like animal care and just walking in general. The horse was a speedy way to get around, but when you whistled for it to come, as far as I know there is no way to choose which animal comes to you. So I’d often be stuck riding my cow instead lol
Burning Spear
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Do it as Nintendo would do it: Load it into a Switch case and put a sixty-dollar price tag on it. In other words, leave it as it is, please. Maybe polish the graphics. Otherwise, don't change the characters' names, don't make the characters look like Starbucks clientele on a Saturday evening, don't make the experience more "accessible" so people with no attention span can play it, and please don't add silly animal costumes.
nightshade2010
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

yeah an average AP day took about 2 hours because the game areas were so huge that and there was some weird tic with the clock where it didn't move or it dragged in certain areas .......

that's why they had the circus animal warp after you found them all ......

Now what id like is the kid stories expanded...like if you married one of the characters you could see the kid learning about powers .. like one kid of the witch turns the younger one into a frog etc ........

just little things like that ......
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Burning Spear wrote:don't make the characters look like Starbucks clientele on a Saturday evening
What the actual « Snuggly Bunny » does this even mean?
Burning Spear wrote: don't make the experience more "accessible" so people with no attention span can play it
Good lord, could you be any more condescending? Here's an thought; not everyone has all the time in the world to grind in games. Sometimes people want to accomplish something with the little time they have between work, family, responsibilities, ect. If there's an easy mode in a game, I will 100% choose it so I can enjoy my experience the way I want to and not be bogged down by 10+ year old mechanics. Nobody gains anything by being a « Snuggly Bunny » elitist and preventing others from playing due to your nostalgia boner.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
Burning Spear wrote:don't make the characters look like Starbucks clientele on a Saturday evening
What the actual « Snuggly Bunny » does this even mean?
I think it means that Burning Spear didn't like the SoS:FoMT redesigns and greatly prefers the old / classic designs over them. I also doubt that Burning Spear enjoyed that SoS:PoOT designs either.
Bluie wrote:
Burning Spear wrote: don't make the experience more "accessible" so people with no attention span can play it
Good lord, could you be any more condescending? Here's an thought; not everyone has all the time in the world to grind in games. Sometimes people want to accomplish something with the little time they have between work, family, responsibilities, ect. If there's an easy mode in a game, I will 100% choose it so I can enjoy my experience the way I want to and not be bogged down by 10+ year old mechanics. Nobody gains anything by being a « Snuggly Bunny » elitist and preventing others from playing due to your nostalgia boner.
HM:AP wasn't particularly difficult or long, however. Grinding was minimal (I think one quest required about 10 items and the others needed fewer than that). I think the most grind-y quest required getting a rare fish. HM:AP has no character leveling, and skill and ability are determined by what tool you have. I guess you may need to grind some money and spend some time in mines to upgrade the tool, but that's it. Crafting was minimal - clothing and animals were exclusively obtained through shops, but I don't remember money being anything other than an minor inconvenience. No one required anything extreme (ex. the Witch Princess in HM:DS) in order to be date-able.

I think I finished the main storyline either within the first year or early into year 2. My mom played her own file and finished around the same time I did, so I don't think that I did anything special. I got bored of the game before the 3rd year.

The main changes that I would want would be no limits on what types of animals we can have (I believe this game limited the main barn to only 3 types of animals) and performance improvements (the game would lag within the big maps). The graphics would also need to be upgraded for today's higher definition consoles. I wouldn't mind if the developers decide to add in more dialogue and events, little details in the maps (this game was the first game to have a first-person camera, if I remember correctly), and a wider variety of crops and clothing (including accessories). A character creator for the player character would probably please a lot of fans. If the developers want to add in a seedling/easy mode, then so be it, but I don't think that this game needs one in order to be accessible.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Again, it hurts no one to make the game easier for those who may not have the time to dedicate to the grind, no matter how 'easy' it is in base game. Just because you think it was easy, doesn't mean everyone does. For example, Kiki in the above comments who quit the game due to various aspects that ended up making it not fun for them. Like, I'm not talking about putting an easy mode into bloody Dark Souls, where it's a game that's meant to be challenging and will really only picked up by those who want it, I'm talking about a farming sim from over 10 years ago that could use some adjusting so it reaches a broader audience in a possible remake/remaster.

Who the hell cares enough to defend a dated game getting an update because they don't want people with, and I quote; 'no attention span can play it'. Let. People. Enjoy. Things. Period. If you and your mom completed the game in record time, good for you, but you're not the golden standard and everyone has different schedules and lives that dictate different pockets of time to devote to whatever they wish. If someone wants to play as the original intended, cool, if they want to play an easier mode, also cool. Denying either side just makes you an elitist prick.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Again, it hurts no one to make the game easier for those who may not have the time to dedicate to the grind, no matter how 'easy' it is in base game. Just because you think it was easy, doesn't mean everyone does. For example, Kiki in the above comments who quit the game due to various aspects that ended up making it not fun for them. Like, I'm not talking about putting an easy mode into bloody Dark Souls, where it's a game that's meant to be challenging and will really only picked up by those who want it, I'm talking about a farming sim from over 10 years ago that could use some adjusting so it reaches a broader audience in a possible remake/remaster.

Who the hell cares enough to defend a dated game getting an update because they don't want people with, and I quote; 'no attention span can play it'. Let. People. Enjoy. Things. Period. If you and your mom completed the game in record time, good for you, but you're not the golden standard and everyone has different schedules and lives that dictate different pockets of time to devote to whatever they wish. If someone wants to play as the original intended, cool, if they want to play an easier mode, also cool. Denying either side just makes you an elitist prick.
I agree with this. But again I DO have a short attention span. That, and there’s the fact that I actually have a learning disability. I need at least some of my games to be easy otherwise the game doesn’t get a lot of hours out of me.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've said it so many times with these games that I think everyone must be sick of it, but to me the answer to everything is to give players as many OPTIONS as you can. Put in difficulty options. Put in food effects to allow people to tailor how fast/slow the clock is, how easy it is to make friends, how much money you make...etc. Give options to make it easier AND to make it more challenging.. People who like the base experience as it is programmed don't need to use them, but people who want or need it to be easier, or more challenging, could then do so.

That's why I'd like them to put food effects into ALL the games. It was great to have a way to make fishing easier, say, since I never enjoy fishing in video games. I also loved being able to control the clock speed, and would really have valued a feature like that in AP.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Again, it hurts no one to make the game easier for those who may not have the time to dedicate to the grind, no matter how 'easy' it is in base game. Just because you think it was easy, doesn't mean everyone does. For example, Kiki in the above comments who quit the game due to various aspects that ended up making it not fun for them. Like, I'm not talking about putting an easy mode into bloody Dark Souls, where it's a game that's meant to be challenging and will really only picked up by those who want it, I'm talking about a farming sim from over 10 years ago that could use some adjusting so it reaches a broader audience in a possible remake/remaster.

How am I supposed to know? Burning Spear was the poster against adding accessibility. I will defend dated games because I have played remakes that completely miss the point of the original game, usually by adding or removing features in order to "update" it. Easy modes are generally not examples of those features, despite what some fans think, and the same applies to other features such as color-blind modes. I also wasn't denying either side. Again, I am not against the developers adding in an seedling/easy mode to HM:AP, even though I personally found HM:AP easy and cannot see the point of adding that feature over others (ideally, we would add both that feature and others). Outside of lowering prices and building requirements, I'm not sure how one would make the game easier without cutting features out entirely. Kikki might be right that raising affection is harder than in other games, but, as I too used the rubbing trick, I can't effectively comment on whether this is true. I also wanted performance improvements in my first post.

(It's also worth noting that adding a character creator and same-« Chicken Hugging » marriage and releasing the remake on several consoles would also help the game appeal to a broader audience, but you didn't mention those features, either.)

I was using my mom as a comparison on the off chance that I unintentionally sped through the game and finished it like a (in-game) year earlier than normal. I'm not sure how you got the impression that we were somehow a "gold standard". We also didn't play it all at once; our actual playtime took months. We didn't clear the main storyline a day like speed runners do.

Some people want remakes to align closely with the original product, with the most extreme end wanting a straight port of an old game (Burning Spear seems to be in this camp), sometimes complete with the original graphics. Others basically want a new, different game that just happens to reuse the general game-play, story, and most of the characters from the original. Both are allowed to feel the way they do and I didn't intend to give off the opposite impression. I personally fall somewhere in the middle.

(It's funny that you bring up Dark Souls. I avoid those kind of games as much as I can. I can handle some forms of difficulty, but, with my own issues, I cannot keep track of the fast enemies and attacks. I also can't get into Hades, Touhou, or most rhythm games because of the same issues. I cannot process the really fast or busy parts.)
Kikki wrote:I've said it so many times with these games that I think everyone must be sick of it, but to me the answer to everything is to give players as many OPTIONS as you can. Put in difficulty options. Put in food effects to allow people to tailor how fast/slow the clock is, how easy it is to make friends, how much money you make...etc. Give options to make it easier AND to make it more challenging.. People who like the base experience as it is programmed don't need to use them, but people who want or need it to be easier, or more challenging, could then do so.
Yes. More options in option menu are always a good thing, even if I don't use them. In-game brightness and contrast sliders are also good. In terms of difficulty, I liked how RF4:SE allows players to shift the difficulty without starting a new game. Again, Burning Spear may not like them being added to old games, but I am not against easy modes in general as long as nothing is left out and the game-play is mostly the same.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

PaleSunflower wrote: (It's also worth noting that adding a character creator and same-« Chicken Hugging » marriage and releasing the remake on several consoles would also help the game appeal to a broader audience, but you didn't mention those features, either.)
??? Not really sure why you brought this up when I was specifically only talking in regards to having a more accessible mode for those who would like/need it. Honestly can't tell your tone here.

I mistook your example with you and your mother as you coming in and shutting down the idea of the game having difficulties. I read it as basically 'it's not grindy, it's not hard, we both polished it off in X amount of time, so there' instead of your intent, and for that I apologize. You have valid points and I'm obviously on the side of more accessibility over pure port.

I just really, REALLY don't like it when people look down on the 'casual' crowd for liking what they do and companies catering to them because it sells/it's a nice gesture. I'm aware of remakes in various genres that completely missed the mark of the original game and ended up disappointing everyone, but there's also great examples that keep the original intact while also adding modes/options for those who just want the story/to coast through/ect. That's primarily the best option imo and it's a hill I will die on.

Anyways, I've said more than my piece at this point. If AP ever got a remaster/remake, I would like there to be a seedling mode. A nice glow-up to the graphics would be nice too as Wii limitations are gone now.