Video Games Recommendations to Help With Depression

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:You're welcome. :) Trails and Xenoblade are my two favourite series (and Ys) so they're easy to talk about :) It's a good time or them, too, with them having new games on the way! Hope you'll enjoy all those massive stories you're about to walk in on!
Will do. Thanks again :lala:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

infel wrote:Yeah, I actually looked up these games to get a better idea. I suck with crafting, but am someone who likes to try new things. Do you think starting with Sophie 2 is okay. I hear it's a big improvement and has more quality of life choices. If i try these, I wanna start is a good place.

Also, thanks for the recommendations again. I'm okay with a lot of reading when it comes to something like Blue Reflection. Since I watched mostly subbed anime, I've learned to read text a lot. I do agree with you though when it comes to the sequel as people say it's better. It looks good. I think I may try it out when I can (likely for ps4)

For the other stuff, I look into them as well down the line. My list is looking better after making this thread so thank you =)
Sophie 2 has a recap in it's menus, so you can jump right in no problem! As for Blue Reflection, in order to really understand the second game, they kinda expect you to have both played the first game and watched the 24 episode anime. Watching the anime without the first game is extremely confusing and the second game gives backstory to characters but never fully recaps. I loved the first game, found the anime just OK, and then found the second game to be kinda lacking. The battles are no longer turn based, they added a crafting system that's a pain to juggle, and there's random stealth sections for really no reason. The first game is a straight JRPG with school life on the side, kinda like Persona 3/4/5 but not as intense. The second game feels like they tired a little too hard in fixing something that wasn't broken. Anyways, it's up to you but that's just my two cents.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
infel wrote:Yeah, I actually looked up these games to get a better idea. I suck with crafting, but am someone who likes to try new things. Do you think starting with Sophie 2 is okay. I hear it's a big improvement and has more quality of life choices. If i try these, I wanna start is a good place.

Also, thanks for the recommendations again. I'm okay with a lot of reading when it comes to something like Blue Reflection. Since I watched mostly subbed anime, I've learned to read text a lot. I do agree with you though when it comes to the sequel as people say it's better. It looks good. I think I may try it out when I can (likely for ps4)

For the other stuff, I look into them as well down the line. My list is looking better after making this thread so thank you =)
Sophie 2 has a recap in it's menus, so you can jump right in no problem! As for Blue Reflection, in order to really understand the second game, they kinda expect you to have both played the first game and watched the 24 episode anime. Watching the anime without the first game is extremely confusing and the second game gives backstory to characters but never fully recaps. I loved the first game, found the anime just OK, and then found the second game to be kinda lacking. The battles are no longer turn based, they added a crafting system that's a pain to juggle, and there's random stealth sections for really no reason. The first game is a straight JRPG with school life on the side, kinda like Persona 3/4/5 but not as intense. The second game feels like they tired a little too hard in fixing something that wasn't broken. Anyways, it's up to you but that's just my two cents.
Thanks so much for the info. I'll check Blue Reflection 1 to start with. Maybe even the anime. And I'll likely buy Sophie 2 because I always need a more casual and calm game.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Hello! I would recommend playing Layton’s Mystery Journey for the Switch. Professor Layton is one of my favorite series! I’m not sure I would recommend playing the main Professor Layton games at this time because even though the games are very sweet and heartwarming, they are just a tiny bit dark (for example, the theme of parental abandonment can be seen in all but one of the seven games, I think) and they will make you cry—either from frustration over puzzles (especially the SLIDING BLOCK PUZZLES, ARGH—) or just because the games are very emotional. Besides that, all seven Professor Layton games are only available on the DS, 3DS, and mobile.

Anyways, Layton’s Mystery Journey is a spin-off game that focuses on Hershel Layton’s daughter, Katrielle. Just like the main series, LMJ is a puzzle/mystery game, but Katrielle’s adventures are much more lighthearted than those of her father’s :lol: Layton’s Mystery Journey can also be classified as a comedy. In general, it’s just a really adorable, funny, and heartwarming game about a puzzle-solving gal and many other lovable characters. All of them are lovable. Especially Sherl.

oH, oH, alSo, I’d also recommend playing Cooking Mama. I think they released a Cooking Mama game for the Switch a while ago.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh, it was recommended already, but not specifically with the mention of it being a game of exploration. It isn't open-world in the way that XCX or BotW is, but Spiritfarer is also open-world, in a way (in spite of following a story, or many stories at once) and you explore the entire ocean and find all these little caches of stuff, fishing spots, islands, mines...all while helping your passengers achieve peace and building up your ship, and, gradually, revealing the main character's own story behind the story of all the others. There's a lot to discover and you can go in any direction you want, except when a barrier requires you to, say, upgrade a skill or something to pass it. But a huge chunk of the ocean can be explored as you will without barrier.
Last edited by Kikki on Mar 14, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

The only caveat/warning I'd say for Spiritfarer is to be aware of your frame of mind before playing, since it's about helping people/spirits pass on. If you're up for it, it sounds very cathartic!

If we're throwing in open world games, A Short Hike might be a nice one! I STILL haven't played it myself but I've heard enough game critics rave about it. And I watched the devs GDC talk! Small open-ish world, nonlinear design, everything about it is very cute. The entire premise is 'hike to the top of this mountain, please'. :lol:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I haven't gotten to the end of Spiritfarer, so I don't know how any endings feel, but while relaxing and peaceful to play with lots of soothing little tasks to do as you feel like doing them, it does feel a little melancholic, as previously mentioned. After all, everyone in the game is already dead, but not fully at peace, at least afaik. (I'm not that far in...I still have my first three passengers onboard, out of...I dunno, actually, but without the DLC, maybe 10-15? The game is about 30 hours long.)

You haven't played it, Mikodesu? It seems like the kind of game you'd appreciate, with a unique art style and gameplay that's been reused many times, but is somehow presented in a fresh way.

EDIT: Another good one is Fantasy Life, if you still have a 3ds. I can describe it, but not sure if you have one or not.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Spiritfarer is definitely very fun and it's gameplay loop very soothing, but depending on your emotional attachments to characters, it may be very hard to say goodbye. One of the passengers was practically a carbon copy of my departed grandmother, and it made me cry. Honestly, some of the passengers I hardly remember, but that one hit me so hard it still stings a little. Of course this is all situational, but something to keep in mind regardless.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Hey guys, I'll try Spiritfarer some type. The last few comments have been talking about it and I checked the game and it looks good. I also saw a mention for Cooking Mama and that is a pretty good game series. Currently, I'm on Spring break, so I can try these things. Thanks again everyone :)
♪PhantomSkye♪
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

hi there.
i have stuggled w/ depression as well, along with HDHD and OCD and PTSD. video games is a wonderful way to dive into other worlds and take your mind off of things.
a game i can think of atm is:
Art Of Balance: Touch! on the 3ds. i know for sure its on the eshop but i dont know if it has physical copys.
its an extremly relaxing puzzle game. the goal of each level is to balance diffrent shaped objects on top of each other without them falling in a certain amount of time. almost always uses the stylus. the music is super chill and zen and the backgrounds of the levels remind me of a spa. they have lotus flowers or calming colors or pretty water elements.
its very simple. there was some levels that was tricky to figue out. i could stack them fairly easy, but they kept falling to quick, but that was good because i had think abit more about how to place them, so not all levels were super easy; you can get a bit of a challenge if you need it so it dosent become boring. its good when you want something sorta mindless or just a with calming effect. i would sometimes watch tv or read a book wile playing it

i was going to suggest Pokemon Legends Arceus but i noticed it was already mentioned. i wish you happiness and sunshine, plus hopefully some of the games ppl suggested will be helpful to you. take care.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's okay to mention games that have previously been mentioned, imo. That helps add to the weight of the suggestion, when more than one person is recommending it. :)
Ninety
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but maybe Minecraft? Especially on peaceful mode, it can be really calming to just do some farming and make a little house.

Relatedly, not a game in itself, but Zaypixel’s Minecraft build videos on YouTube are some of the most relaxing content I’ve come across.
Fluffyfoo82
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'd suggest "Persona 5" - it's got a rich storyline, complex characters, and some real-life themes that you might resonate with. Another gem is "Stardew Valley" for a calming simulation experience; it really helped me during my lows.

Speaking of tough times, I went through a really stressful period because of work. It got to the point where I had panic attacks and honestly thought I was losing it. I went for a neuropsych evaluation in NYC just to understand what was going on. Thankfully, it showed I didn't have any illness.

Therapy thereafter made a world of difference for me. It helped me cope, gain perspective, and provided tools to manage stress. Sometimes, it's essential to seek help when things get overwhelming. Stay strong and enjoy your gaming!
Sivs
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I understand depression all too well...

When I feel depressed, I play games with lighthearted atmospheres and silly moments. I would recommend something like Fantasy Life for the 3DS (if you can get it).

If you don't have a 3DS or can't get a copy of the game, another Fantasy Life game will be coming out on the Switch. It's called "Fantasy Life i: The Girl who Steals Time". I bet it'll be just as good as the first one!
GavinsMustache
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I like to play Pokemon when I am depressed (I have bipolar). The games are easy and the collection and leveling keeps my mind occupied, plus the games are so cute and I love the monster characters.

ETA: Sorry just reread your post and you said you already have been playing Pokemon.

Maybe something like Skyrim would be good?

ETA2: Also just realized this post is like a year old. I hope you're doing better <3