Nintendo of America Wii U/3DS e-shop closure

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I know this was posted in another thread, but with the closure of the 3DS and Wii U e-shops already having happened in Japan (I think), we knew this day was coming for Nintendo of America, and other regions.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 0733503488

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.co ... a_id/57847
Spoiler:
As of late March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. It will also no longer be possible to download free content, including game demos. Furthermore, as this date draws closer, related services will cease to function:

As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.
I thought we could also share our data for the Wii U and 3DS family of systems.

https://my-nintendo-3ds-wiiu-memories.n ... x.html#top

How long did you guys spend playing each system, how many titles for each system, and what were your favorite games?

Nintendo 3DS (I had mine since it came out in America in December 2011, I believe):

Total hours:3,487 hours (145.30 days)

Total titles played: 150 titles played

Top Titles played: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (physical edition), Yo-kai Watch, Pokemon Sun.

Most memorable games for me: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and the entire Yo-kai Watch series

Most played title's hours: Animal Crossing New Leaf (388 hours on the physical edition alone)

Top categories: RPG, Adventure, Simulation

Wii U (I bought mine late in the Wii U's life Cycle with my own money):

Total hours: 150 (6.25 days)

Total titles played: 22 games

Top Titles played: Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water (digital only in America), Super Mario 64 (virtual Console), Super Mario 3D World

Most memorable games for me: Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water and Super Mario 3D World

Most played title's hours: Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water (33 hours)

Top categories: Action, Platformer, Puzzle
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My most memorable title played on 3ds was definitely Xenoblade Chronicles. However, the Ace Attorney games go well in there, too, and also Harvest Moon: A New Beginning and Rune Factory 4. I don't actually have many memories of New Leaf, so I can't count it as memorable, though I'm sure I did put lots of hours into it. I put about 600 into story of seasons, though. I don't think New Leaf beat that, but I'd have to check to be sure. ANB got over 400, and that was on one playthrough alone, thanks to a certain tall butler fella with a long white braid.

Xenoblade Chronicles X clearly would take the cake on Wii U (I don't even have access to that right now as I'm living at my parents' house for the next 4 months or so) as I know I put about 175 hours into each playthrough (though you can continue playing after the end, it always takes me that long just to get through the story with all the exploring and questing I end up doing along the way.) Though Twilight Princess definitely has memories for me, too...that's probably the game that finally turned me into a true console gamer.

Rather than sharing my data, with the closure of the shops, I'd like people to tell which 3ds (and Wii U, if you want, though so few people ever got one, that's less useful) games you'd advise people to snap up NOW while they can still be gotten on the eshop. Physical titles sooner or later become unavailable or difficult to buy, and the prices will probably soar with news of the impending closure, too. Right now you can still buy Ever Oasis at a moderately inflated price physically...a little under double what it costs on the eshop. A bad deal, but not horrible.

Fantasy Life, though...that costs MORE than double to buy in physical than digital. Those are the two titles that could easily slip through the cracks for a lot of people that I think of on 3ds. Not so much here, with all the sim fans we've got, but anyway. Ever Oasis and Fantasy Life. Really cute, and interesting gameplay that tends to vibe well for people who like games like Animal Crossing and Bokumono, ime.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't access any of my stats as I think switching my account over to a US one when I got my Switch borked something. Oh well.

The 3DS was such a fun system and it really helped me cope with my life at the time. I wont go too into detail, but being able to curl up in bed and forget my worries while gaming under the sheets was a wonderful escape. I was able to purchase one by selling some of my college textbooks for bank (out of print and weren't making a new edition) and I managed to buy every game I wanted by saving tips from my job.

It's hard to choose which game is the most memorable as I have really nice thoughts about so many of them. Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Pokemon X&Y, A New Beginning, Animal Crossing, all the Fire Emblem titles, all the Monster Hunter titles, and of course the Yokai Watch trilogy +so many more. Hell, I even eventually imported a Japanese 3DS so I could play titles like EX Troopers, Tales of the World, and Kumatomo (and Fire Emblem Fates early). It's a gem of a system and I'm exceedingly glad I still have one so I can snatch up specific titles that are going to disappear for good with this announcement.

Both of Level 5's Guild 01/02 collections that are physical in Japan are only available digitally in English. Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, Weapon Shop de Omasse, Attack of the Friday Monsters!, Bugs vs. Tanks, and The Starship Damrey are all going to just poof and that s u c k s. I love all these games, they really capture the feel of 3DS games, being experimental, weird, and full of style. I plan to repurchase all of them before the shop goes down.

On a (minor) plus side, there has been an influx of 3DS titles getting enhanced ports/remasters/remakes on the Switch, so there is still hope for some titles in the future. Miitopia, two of the Taiko games, Snack World, Yokai Watch (still Japan only atm), Monster Hunter Generations, Rune Factory 4, Disney Magical World 2, Dragon Quest XI's sprite version, Xenoblade Chronicles, that one Layton game (with the girl protag), Wakuwaku Sweets, Code of Princess, Ace Attorney Chronicles, The Alliance Alive, Hyrule Warriors - All titles available on the 3DS now on Switch as their new home! There's even some titles like Monster Hunter Stories and various Dragon Quest portables that still live on via the app store. So, while losing the 3DS eShop is a big bummer and finding physicals of certain games is going to become a challenge, there is hope on the horizon that there's more ports/remasters. It's certainly easier (and more cost effective) to upscale already present assets than making a whole new game (said assets already in HQ as they had to be scaled down for the 3DS' limitations). Could you imagine a collection of all 5 Fire Emblem titles with all their DLC included on Switch? Or HD Fantasy Life? Or Tomodachi Life with the enhanced Mii Maker!? *swoon*
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

My most played favorites on 3ds were definitely Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, highly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried them. I am also happy to have access to Harvest Moon 3 whenever I feel nostalgic. As for eShop games, I have really enjoyed freebie games Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Picross. I played the free Kirby game quite a bit on 3ds too, but that one is on Switch now as well.

I have had my eye on the Zelda Oracle games and Harvest Moon 1 and 2 for a while now. I have also thought about Pokemon Crystal, though I have Silver, and Pokemon Radar just for it being an oddball. Other games like the Dragon Quests or Fire Emblems that I never tried yet and are probably highly scalped physically might be in consideration too. Ahh! Too many choices! At least I don't have a WiiU to worry about, but my little brother does. He'll probably be dropping some paychecks, lol.

On the plus side, in March 2023, Pokemon Bank's service is supposed to be free for as long as they keep the service up, provided you've already downloaded it.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

WiiU and 3DS actually meant quite a bit to me. As for what to buy, I'd say focus on a few Virtual Console pick ups or digital only that you won't have ANY other way of buying.

WiiU I was the early adopter fool. THIS was the first console I bought with my own money, as a "grown up". It was never the Wii, or the Switch, but it was a better console than most are willing to admit. In terms of major games... Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (never got to finish the original, long story, so this game has my heart), Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D World. Later on the WiiU became a Virtual Console machine. Paper Mario, LoZ Phantom Hourglass, LoZ Spirit Tracks are probably my favorites

3DS was sort of the same, started out with a lot of major titles but in the last few years Virtual Console became my favorite. The LoZ Oracle games were my last pickups.

AC New Leaf probably took up the most hours I spent on the console, Rune Factory 4 or Shin Megami Tensei 4 beyond that. And obviously the bevvy of Harvest Moon titles. 3DS was also where I played through all but the last of the Professor Layton games. Afaik they're still physical only, which makes them pretty difficult to find. Every time I've found them in a Gamestop they've only ever had one copy per store... I haven't looked at prices for second hand Layton games but that market has been completely borked for a while. :/

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of games I'm forgetting. Makes me wanna drag both out to replay some things.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Update:

I bought some games on my 3DS (I don't have a Wii U anymore). I bought Kirby Planet Robobot (been wanting it for 6 years), Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone, and Pixel Paint (by Rainy Frog). I also redownloaded a Goemon game on my 3DS.

Kirby Planet Robobot = I'm so excited for this game. I've always wanted to play it. I haven't started it up, so I'll post a first impressions or review of it later.

Pixel Paint = There's no art lessons (paint lessons) like I thought. You create all your art by yourself. I can't draw (yet).

So, I bought Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone. :lol: The game seems really interesting. It's a sequel to the Art academy games on the Nintendo DSi (which you can also buy on the 3DS e-shop). I'm going to be starting with the introductory course(s). The game also has downloadable DLC able to be bought through the game's main menu that adds up to around $20 USD without tax. So, if I like the game, I'll buy the DLC. :) On a related note, I have Pokemon Art Academy (also on the 3DS), and I've enjoyed that one, but it's unfinished. So, I have that one to finish, too.

I can recommend Pokemon Art Academy. It's really fun. :)
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Sorry for double posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFfWrOXw5s

Here's GameXplain's video of 20+ recommended Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U e-shop titles to buy before the services shuts down in North America.
Last edited by Harvest Moon kawaii on Feb 20, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Bought the DLC for both Disney Magical World and Fire emblem awakening that I wasn’t sure about. Also bought a heap of games for Wii u from the virtual console, particularly old Fire emblem and Harvest Moon titles because physical copies of these games are crazy expensive! I would recommend those who want to buy DLC for Wii U and 3DS games to do it now as DLC content for these games runs through the eshop. The date for the closure isn’t set in concrete, it’s just late March, meaning that it could be the last day of March or the last week, we don’t exactly know. Pretty sad that they are closing but the writing was on the wall. Will miss virtual console and discounts on games that were very expensive in physical form. While I am not in America myself, I did this to prepare myself for the closure of my region’s Nintendo eshop, which will probably be at the same time or just shortly afterward.

I did a similar thing when the 3DS was cancelled, I went out and bought all the physical games I was iffy about like Fantasy Life, Tomodachi Life, Disney Magical World, Fire Emblem Fates, puzzle and dragons Mario edition etc when they were cheaper. I managed to find some reasonably popular Nintendo franchises with games that sold under $10!

Probably one of my favourite DLCs from the era was the Sonic Lost World legend of Zelda DLC on Wii U. While I didn’t like Lost World, this DLC was a great homage to Zelda and I would recommend anyone who has at least a passing interest in Zelda or Sonic to get this DLC while it is still available.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Ahh, I knew this was coming, but it's still pretty sad. ;_; Relative to my DS collection (which was Large - I traveled a lot for work when that console was active) my 3DS library is a lot smaller, but I played some of those games for hundreds of hours. ACNL and Pokemon ORAS were the two big titles, along with Theatrhythm.

I had to delete one or two of the Guild 01/02 games due to space, so I need to re-grab those. Annoyingly, there's something wrong with my account, and it doesn't show any of my previous purchases. I have few digital games, so I may just re-buy the missing Guild games rather than untangling that.

I also need to go through and get the DLC for a bunch of games. I still need some of the HM DLC (maybe TLV? I probably need to check all of them). I'm on the fence about downloading the remaining Theatrhythm songs, as those were p. expensive and I don't know if I have the space. I also need to check the Persona Q games, I think those had some.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Don't forget to buy the 3DS games you want, Wii U games you want, and updates and DLC for these games before the e-shops shut down. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF7pe5alMYI (3DS games that have updates)

I can recommend Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone! on the 3DS now. I finished the two first lessons on it (the cherry and the tulip; in the introductory course). I mentioned this before, but this game also has DLC that's available to buy from the in-game menu and adds up to around $20 US without tax.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

It’s a shame to learn that the 3DS and WiiU e-shops are shutting down, but it’s not a surprise. I’ve had a lot of good memories playing my 3DS. I got my 3DS as a birthday present from my dad in 2013 I think (my dad has a shady background so the money he used to buy it could have been stolen; I don’t know). My first games on the console were Mario Kart and the Professor Layton games. The only game that I bought from the e-shop was Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I still have my 3DS, and the shoulders on it are in terrible condition because I’ve dropped it so many times :lol:
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Just heard about this. Nintendo Life article about the shut down, interview with an anonymous former Nintendo employee who believes that we won't even be able to redownload our old titles in a few years.

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/n ... p-closures

Also, please be aware, while the eShops won't close for a year, word is that like the Wii shop closure it'll be done in stages, so after a few months we won't be able to add money to our accounts.

Great way to encourage piracy, Nintendo.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

All of this would seem to point out the superiority of buying physical, and yet...no. Because games are sold so incomplete, now. Very few games don't have at least one update, post-release, that is NOT on the cartridge, and depending on the company, the updates can be HUGE, sometimes even for game-breaking matters, making the game nigh-on impossible to play without them. (Usually not with huge AAA games, but with indie games this isn't at all infrequent.)

If games were sold in a more complete condition from the start, I'd still be buying physical, but even with the closure of the e-shop in a year, I'm not seeing physical as a significantly better option. Haven't done in years, now. I do wish games were still released in a more complete form, like they once were. I've been a gamer for 35 years, and when I was a kid, we couldn't download updates...the internet did not even exist yet, then, not for regular individuals in their homes. (Internet at home didn't start to become more common until I was about 13-14.) They didn't have the option of releasing a broken or incomplete game and patching in content or fixes afterward. I miss that. (Not that much of what's happened since hasn't been an improvement, but that part I wish we'd hung onto.) PC is probably a lot better for longevity anyway, though.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

The entire industry seems to be built on the "Day 1 Patch" anymore, so nobody's really immune, but PC does seem to be the way to go for longevity. I'm hoping Nintendo intends to do better in the future by attaching everything to a Nintendo account. IDEALLY that would be more like Steam, but even that only works to a point.

I wish I knew more about how console architecture works. I'm sure it's not a racket to resell us old games, but I can also pretty much guarantee little if any consideration is put into backwards compatibility when these companies are making new consoles. Incredible. Effort has to be made, and some games are easier than others, but GOG is sort of a testament to the fact that it CAN be done. There are some borderline ancient, CLASSIC games up there that they've made work for modern hardware. We KNOW Nintendo has the money to maintain their classic library. :| And imo there's basically no excuse when you're developing for ONE set of hardware.

Very interesting point made in the recent Nerrel video about the RE4 fan HD mod. Something like this for a Nintendo project would have long, LONG ago been shut down. But by comparison Capcom pinned the project on the Steam forum for the game. Not exactly game preservation, but it's similar imo.

Maybe some day Nintendo will cave and pull a Sony and willingly put some of their games on PC. It clearly made Sony bank, or they wouldn't have made a new company division for it. Gr.

Basically at this point my pity for Nintendo is running out. Going forward, I think I'll stick to physical console games. At least then I can decide what to do with them.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If the steamdeck does really well, we may see a bit more of a shift in the policies of the console gaming companies, because then PC gaming will be edging further into the territory of console gaming and eventually (if options like steamdeck take off and stick with us) they're going to need to do something to keep a competitive edge. I, for example, am already thinking that I may never need a ps5, as the only series I care about that I typically play on playstation (trails and tales) will all be on PC, which means I can play them my preferred way...on TV with a controller...via my steamdeck.

I really think Nintendo's got to be on the verge of some changes. I don't think they'll ever close the gap in tech specs, but I do think they need to narrow it a little. The difference in capability between switch and Ps5 is absurd. Games made to function on ps5 can't work at all on switch, and consumers are getting more and more demanding of multi-platform options, of not having to own 3-4 different platforms just to be able to play all the games they're interested in. I dunno, but with stadia and steamdeck and so on, I just think things are shifting and that companies still working much as they always have are going to have to make a bigger step, soon. I'm pretty curious about the switch successor.

I've never actually had a console completely stop working, yet...I could still play my Wii games, if I wanted, or my ds games. I'm not all that worried about my two 3DSes biting the dust and not being able to play what's on them, or of anything happening to prevent me from accessing my digital library of games (which are already downloaded). The Wii U has been weirdly glitchy/rickety from the beginning, it tends to chug (well, with XCX, anyway!) so I'm a little worried about it, but what can you do?

EDIT: Went into my original 3DS and redownloaded everything I deleted. There's gobs of memory space, so even though I'm not interested in playing any of them again, I thought...why not? I own them. Might as well do it while I have the opportunity, even if they just sit there. Turned out to be only 3 games. Dillon's Rolling Western, Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale, and Hometown Story. Hometown Story is actually quite large and took forever, but...meh, it's not like I have to do anything but sit and let it work. Let those little gems bob by and drop into the icon, filling it up bit-by-bit until all the data is downloaded. Also grabbed game updates I never noticed were available, such as a startlingly huge one for Citizens of Earth.

Now I just have to check my 'New' 3DS library, though I don't think I ever deleted anything off it. This silly endeavour has successfully reminded me that I really liked the 3DS download screen, though.