Pokemon Legends: Arceus Discussion

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’m still at the trial lol
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Seriously, this game is super hard to stop playing! I think I might be about halfway through the storyline, but I'm not sure because I don't want to be spoiled, lol. I have gotten up to a four star rank, which I think lets me use Pokemon up to level 50? My team has only just broke the 40s, but I am still not sure if it's my permanent team, they just have worked pretty well so far. I definitely plan to keep my Typhlosion, my Sylveon, and possibly my tank of a Syther.

I love the ride Pokemon! They are fun and make it much easier to get around. It is a little difficult for me to get the timing right to throw balls while on the water. Wasted a lot of pokeballs. :(

I like the story ok so far, but I am really loving the exploring and catching aspect. Sometimes it seems like the story keeps interrupting me, lol! I had to take a break as it was too hard for me to try to fight *spoiler* in handheld while my son wanted to see and help out while sitting in my lap, lol. My husband tried playing for a little while, but he was having a hard time with the controls and camera that he didn't get very far before getting too frustrated. He prefers the fixed camera I guess and doesn't play a lot of stuff on console, so I guess that's understandable.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Dang……
Spoiler:
The damage from being attacked is harsh. I really need to be careful.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Played about eight hours and I'm loving the game. I took to the controls right away and I haven't had a hard time with them at all except for figuring out how to properly aim heavy balls. I keep wasting every single one of mine because I don't have the distance right. Haven't had a single one bit yet, but I don't try to use them all that often in the first place. Dunno why but it's really easy to me so far and I've probably only thrown an empty ball when I meant to throw out a Pokemon a few times. I can see how it could be difficult though for sure. I honestly expected it to be way more difficult for me so I'm really surprised I learned the basics so fast. My biggest issue is having to stop my character from trying to crawl out of his hiding spots and scaring away the Pokemon and getting himself into fights because of joycon drift. I don't have the money for new controllers and I've had these for three or four years by now. Unfortunately they've hit their worst point yet right before I got the game...and I can't send them in because they're limited edition. Pressing down on the stock stops the drift but at this point only very briefly and there's a good chance it might start drifting the next time I start moving or very shortly after. They may be at their limit.

Not sure what my team is going to end up looking like but I can't wait to find new Pokemon and play more of the game. Took me too long to realize you could enter all the homes though. The remixes of themes from the old games is nice and nostalgic. I like how they slowly build new houses (and new villagers seem to be joining the town as they do) over time. I like that they added actual sidequests to Pokemon. I like the story and the characters so far. I was really excited for this game and knew I was going to like it but I still find myself pleasantly surprised by it.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I feel your pain on the drifting. My pro controller is starting to drift now, though not as bad as my old joycons, probably because it keeps getting knocked onto the floor! Poor controller. My newer blue and yellow set have yet to drift though, (fingers crossed), and I have not been brave enough to take the Zelda ones I got for Christmas out of the box yet, lol. Hopefully you will eventually be able to get a newer set as they don't seem to drift as bad. I haven't personally had a problem with the controls either after I got used to them.

Another aspect of the game that I thought was interesting is the pastures (boxes). Since you have to catch so many of the same kind for the Pokedex, you probably don't want to keep all of them. There is an option for mass release, and similar to the Let's Go games, you get something in return to raise the stats of your Pokemon. This is a handy way to beef up, plus if you get a lot of these grit items on hand you can trade them for stronger ones with a certain NPC. Also, instead of TMs, the said NPC can teach your Pokemon more moves for a fee. I really like the fact you can change your Pokemon's learned moves from the bag menu whenever you want to too, rather than having to go to a move reminder or deleter.

Edit: If you want to use motion controls for like targeting using the gyroscope, go into settings, and you can toggle it on in motion sensitivity. I can use motion or the r-stick, but the motion controls are a game changer for my husband! He actually is starting to have fun playing now.
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I spent all weekend playing it and beat it in less than 24 hours (time spent playing, that is). I'd love to continue requests, but I have to share the cartridge with my husband now.

Phenomenal game, seriously. I'd love to see this done with other regions.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Who decided that losing your items when you faint was a good idea Nintendo? Fainting, fine. I can take that. But losing items? Really? I just lost a lot of my balls :/ I can’t craft more until the tree refreshes…. And I don’t have money to buy more lol
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

There is a lost and found feature that if you are connected online you can recover other player's satchels or find your own returned. Most of my KOs have been during "boss fights."
Spoiler:
The noble Arcanine I think was the hardest for me. Had to restart the fight so many times, and not for the Pokemon part, but the fact that my actual character kept getting knocked out trying to dodge but getting hurt anyway or dodging and hitting lava! The next noble isn't near as bad.
I think I have one main part of the story to go if the menu pictures are what you go by, but I am planning on putting it off to do a lot more exploring, questing, and catching. Bonus that it will help level up my Pokemon more. I wish there was a way to get more tumblestones other than busting crystals. I have a ton of apricorns from gathering and the farm but not so for regular tumblestones which you need to craft most of the reasonably good Pokeballs. Heavy balls stink since you have to be basically right next to a Pokemon to reach your mark, lol.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Welp, this is probably gonna be one of those games where I do everything. I haven't really had one of those since Xenoblade 2, Hollow Knight, and Breath of the Wild, that I can remember anyways. Most games I play these days are either constantly updating or I finish the main campaign and never go back to it. Finding a game that truly immerses me and makes me want to go back to it is a real treasure. While I do have some minor grievances here and there, the gameplay loop is solid.

I'm at the 4th boss atm, just dilly-dallying doing requests and filling out my Pokedex before pressing onwards. While I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish the story and side quests on my own, I'll probably need a guide to find all the wisps and Unown. I do also want to finish the story asap as well because I can get Shaymin quicker (big fave of mine), but then again, no real rush. I don't have anything coming out in Feburary so this'll be a good game to pick away at.

I'm insanely jealous of people finding shiny pokemon so easily. I always have to hardcore hunt for them and never catch a break. :/
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah I know about the lost and found. I don’t know how it works personally or if it’s randomized but if anyone here finds my stuff I’d be appreciated lol. Cuz I tend to faint a lot.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with this game. Only as far as the second area (Crimson something) because i've been distracted by everything other than the storyline. So many pokemon to catch and work on the dex entry for. So many things to pick up. So much to explore. There are some things I do not like, tho.
1) inventory system sucks, Buying one bag space at a time sucks and gets way too expensive.

2) Wild pokemon chasing me. I'm not bothering them, so why are they after me? And they chase me over a long distance, too. And smack me around and sometimes (too often) knock me out. Makes it quite difficult to catch the pokemon that you need/want to get. Not fun at all.

3) Too many different controls are needed especially during the "boss" battles. I had to redo the Kleavor fight 5 or 6 times mostly because I'd throw something when I meant to dodge or move the camera when I meant to run etc.

4) Losing items when I get knocked out is just plain mean, GameFreak! I don't play online so I have no idea if I would get my items back, so I just save often and reset when that happens.

Those are the main things on my No Likey list. Overall, I really enjoy the game but there's definitely room for improvement.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mothership wrote:I've been having a lot of fun with this game. Only as far as the second area (Crimson something) because i've been distracted by everything other than the storyline. So many pokemon to catch and work on the dex entry for. So many things to pick up. So much to explore. There are some things I do not like, tho.
1) inventory system sucks, Buying one bag space at a time sucks and gets way too expensive.

2) Wild pokemon chasing me. I'm not bothering them, so why are they after me? And they chase me over a long distance, too. And smack me around and sometimes (too often) knock me out. Makes it quite difficult to catch the pokemon that you need/want to get. Not fun at all.

3) Too many different controls are needed especially during the "boss" battles. I had to redo the Kleavor fight 5 or 6 times mostly because I'd throw something when I meant to dodge or move the camera when I meant to run etc.

4) Losing items when I get knocked out is just plain mean, GameFreak! I don't play online so I have no idea if I would get my items back, so I just save often and reset when that happens.

Those are the main things on my No Likey list. Overall, I really enjoy the game but there's definitely room for improvement.
Lol number 2 and 4 has me too. Though I’ve learned to get used to it.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Saw the credits roll last night at 30 hours. There seems to be a pretty meaty post game which will probably bump it up to 40 hours like most of the reviews were advertising, though if you're going for full Dex I'm sure it's even longer. Honestly, this is the first game where I don't feel bad about using more than one legendary on my team. The Pokemon are so unpredictable and sometimes get 3 hits on me in a row, so I may as well have some overpowered mons on my team just in case. Shaymin is an absolute beast in it's sky form. It's fast as heck and with the proper move set you can take down enemies before they can even touch you. Glorious.

I'll be back again with my full thoughts once I beat the post game story.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@Sara
Me too. Maybe next month, if I'm really lucky but. Probably later in the year. That sucks that even pro controllers drift though. Mine have been drifting for well over a year, but only really got bad the last few months.

I haven't been knocked out in the game at all yet. Though the boss Pokemon do cut it pretty close and I'm a little surprised I haven't fainted to one yet. I would be further in the main quest but. Requests, and other fun things to do. I have a compulsive need to do as many sidequests as possible (unless they're too annoying and I push them off for later) and speak to everyone I can. Not doing all the pokedex stuff until post game though. Just some of it. I know I'm going to want to finish it later though.

Edit: @mothership

I know what you mean about the chasing though I got slow stalked
Spoiler:
by a hippowdon
once and I only escaped it by fleeing up some cliffs with wyrdeer. I'd run away from it far out of sight and think I was safe and then I would spot it lumbering after me and have to run somewhere else where it would inevitably appear. I knew I couldn't fight that thing and win. I don't know how it kept finding me though, since it shouldn't have still been following me.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Wooo! Was wandering around the Crimson Mirelands when I saw something green and sparkly up ahead. Crept closer and it was a shiny Psyduck! Caught it in the first poke ball I threw...yay!

Question: Do I need to be able to surf to get to where I can catch Petilil? If so, BOOOO!