Backlog 2022

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Lmao, Kiki, we're both grumpy old ladies. I can agree that my picky nature has come with both age and lack of time. I would rather spend my limited time on games I know I'm guaranteed to like rather than continue to suffer through a title for the sake of completion. I am still willing to try anything, but I know what I like and I'm not as easily pleased as I used to be.

Thing is, I am still very easily convinced to buy things based on looks and word of mouth alone. I also find when games try something new it's very endearing and I give them my money without thinking. I need to stop that lol. Gotta stick to things I like and both my wallet and free time will thank me.

For now my backlog is:

Yokai Watch 3 (progressing well)
Yokai Watch Blasters (paused)
Pokemon Ultra Moon (not started)
Pokemon Legends Arceus (waiting on release)
Black Desert Online (paused but picking at)
Monster Hunter Rise's hub quests (I'll get to it...)

I have absolutely no releases in February (unless something drops out of no where) so once I finish Arceus I may either hyper focus on BDO orrrrr finally get around to finishing my Umineko watchthrough that I dropped last year due to being busy (and not wanting to sit in front of my computer screen for literal weeks). Umineko keeps coming up in my thoughts a lot lately, but still not sure if I'm ready to commit yet.
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Legends Arceus, but as that still has a few weeks to release, I have to play other games when I feel the urge. Currently going through SMTV which has been...interesting? I mean, I love the designs for the demons and the sidequests have been interesting. But all the platforming is something I'm not having too much fun with. Mostly because I'm bad at platforming games. I've also been killed a few times and lost a lot of progress because I forgot to save, which was fun. But eh, I deserved it.

Also been working out to Just Dance 2022 and I like the new songs. And some of them like me too; I've been putting on quick play to get a time set up for how long I dance and there are two songs I've been getting over and over. Level Up by Ciara and Levitating by Dua Lipa. Both are fun songs with fast dances so it's not bad. Just a little surprising. I also like the dance they set up for Last Friday Night by Katy Perry because the dance story in the background is very sweet. Course, this isn't a game I can beat exactly, but it's good for workouts when it's too cold to go outside!
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I've been in an inactive spell the past couple weeks, which always seems to hit me in January. Nothing feels good! I've tried books, audiobooks, shows, games... mostly just vegging, and nothing really holds my interest.

I got back into Labyrinth of Refrain the past week or so... I'm about 50 hours in. That game is so good, but so long. I've just gotten to a point where the plot is beginning to make sense, but I have no idea how far I am. Halfway? 75%? We just don't know. The game mechanics are still pretty fun. I keep expecting to tire of grinding, but rolling over my puppets and seeing their levels shoot back up is kind of fun. I'm not sure how I feel about slamming to a halt at bosses (the stupid bee, and to a lesser extent the fly). I do appreciate that grinding levels is not helpful in those situations, though figuring out what game mechanic you are not engaging with to overcome them is not going to fly for much longer, especially after I learned the importance of synthesis just after selling off my entire inventory. ;_;

I probably should have given up on it, but it's a way better game than it should be, and nothing was going to satisfy me anyway, so I kept going. I do try to beat every game I play on Switch, and I may finish this one yet, but I can forgive myself for quitting this one, especially after putting so much time in.

I'm nearly done with Picross S2, which I still love. I feel like I'm wasting it, as it's one of the only things that holds my interest when I don't feel like doing anything else, but I make a lot of mistakes when I'm not super focused. Thinking about playing a VN when I finish this. I should do the second Ace Attorney Chronicles game, but I might have more fun with Cupid Parasite right now.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I managed to sell my Yugioh cards (I wasn't using them) and I got a late Christmas present from my aunt, so I was able to put down preorders for Pokemon Legends Arceus, Triangle Strategy, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Very excited! My March is gonna be packed (Kirby, Triangle Strategy, Rune Factory 5, and Weird West)
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Okami progress went good last weekend, but I haven't played it this weekend. I used my Switch a lot but no real progress on anything unless you count Kirby's Adventure NES. I've come to realize that there are far too many Kirby games for me to ever realistically play with systems and availability and all... But that's okay. I've got a lot to finish anyway and I'm looking forward to Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I'm really determined to get through a chunk of my backlog though I don't know how realistic that is... I just got put on an anti-anxiety med so I'm hoping that helps motivate me in all sorts of ways from now on haha here's hoping anyway. Also with Arceus Legends coming out soon, that's another to add along with Kirby.

Plus I was supposed to have surgery on Friday the 14th which got postponed cuz I had Covid. In other words, Arceus Legends would've come out as soon as I went back to work from that, and now instead Kirby comes out right after I go back to work :| Go figure. At least it gives me time to work on other games and make room for them on the list.
Chrysalis-Lyn
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Good job, Sprites - making progress on Okami! I opened my own file the other day just to wander around wistfully. I feel like I've restarted 2 or 3 times & I always lose momentum, which saddens me because it's such a lovely game. I'd be interested in your thoughts as you continue progressing. I've heard mixed reactions about the pace, even for all of its beauty.

I'm also joining in to voice my excitement for Kirby and the Forgotten Land. The latest trailer makes it look irresistible! There seems to be a little town hub with mini games, not to mention so many different environments. Why is everything coming out in March??
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Decided, in light of what I wrote myself, that NOW is the only good time to buy DQXI, and the permanently decreased regular price of $65 (CAD) is acceptable when it's not likely to go on sale again until next Black Friday. (Unless they're coming out with a new DQ, cuz then they put the previous games on sale more often.) Who knows if I'll ever be in this exact frame of mind again, where monotonous turn-based combat suits my blank-gazing phase? I could be back to this again next winter...but this is the first time I've reacted to winter by finding turn-based pleasantly monotonous. It enhances my current tendency to veg out in the middle of everything, lol...makes it prettier with colours and music, and dots it in between with a story. :)

First character I met I thought I really liked was some derpy coward prince. Faris? He's funny :) I've moved on from that location now. Not sure what part of the story I'm in, tbh, but that's okay...I'm playing very casually. I guess I should go back and give those three pastwords I found and complete those books, but I reeeeeeeally don't like playing in that 2D pixel world with random encounters.

I don't want to play Slime Rancher until I'm ready again for a more intense play session, with the way it compels you to do that 'just one more thing!' thing. A replay of MTaP is also very demanding of your focus...it takes a lot of efficiency to beat Higgins at his own game, so I can't play idly, and I guess I only want to play idly right now. Puttering around in BotW is nice, too, in little bits. I'll look for a change in that in mid or late March...I think my mood may shift around then as daylight hours get longer and the outdoor season inches up.

I like Slime Rancher, though. But the random freezing it does that forces you to restart isn't fun.

EDIT: I just got to ride this wasp thing across some bright, sparkly blue lake. Reminds me of being in my skell in XCX, endlessly gliding over the waters of Cauldros, combing for Mottled Mums and Nightmare Pineapples. I could do this gliding thing for quite a long time...I may need someone to stage an intervention to get me to stop. If this game had sparkling crystal collectible points to glide around for, I'd be doomed.

EDIT 2: I'm not looking for spoilers, but is there any 'point of no return' in DQXI, where you can no longer do side-quests or stuff like that?
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Chrysalis-Lyn wrote:Good job, Sprites - making progress on Okami! I opened my own file the other day just to wander around wistfully. I feel like I've restarted 2 or 3 times & I always lose momentum, which saddens me because it's such a lovely game. I'd be interested in your thoughts as you continue progressing. I've heard mixed reactions about the pace, even for all of its beauty.

I'm also joining in to voice my excitement for Kirby and the Forgotten Land. The latest trailer makes it look irresistible! There seems to be a little town hub with mini games, not to mention so many different environments. Why is everything coming out in March??
I played a little more today, and I know the game has been out forever but I'm still gonna spoiler considering the nature of the thread:
Spoiler:
I feel that I'm at a spot right now where there's a lot of quests in the journal, although they're all in the same area so that's nice. I just rescued Chun and now I need to go all over creation to find the last 3 dogs :roll: I was just at Sasa Sanctuary and couldn't find the one there so I'll either have to keep wandering or Google it lol, I do love the game so much though, I love the art style and everything about the aesthetic of it - also I'm excited to fill my animal log haha, I've come to love feeding them although I found it useless and annoying at first.

As for Kirby, it seems a little weird to watch a 3D Kirby game, but that does help the excitement a lot :D

And Kikki, you'll be happy to know that I've been wanting to get back into DQB because I still haven't finished 1, much less bought 2. But I try my best to focus on one story driven game at a time (which of course doesn't count me going back and wasting time in games I've been playing forever like Animal Crossing or The Sims).
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I haven’t played a Pokémon game since Pokémon X and Y, but Pokémon Legends Arceus looks amazing! My brother will most likely buy it, but I suppose he won’t let me play it :lol:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I let my sisters play all of my games. I even made a special buyer account so that they can download all my digital games onto their own switch(es). Your brother should share! Well, unless you wreck or lose his stuff... (For a while I wouldn't let my youngest sister borrow my books because she reads them in the bath and she DROPs them. Warped wrinkle books! I bought her her own copy, instead, cuz then I don't care what she does to it. You damage my book, even so much as creasing the spine, and you buy me a new one. Dog-ear the pages and I disown you.)

~

I'm always happy if someone is going to play a DQB game :)

~

I'm back to it myself atm, too. The music in DQXI got to me, plus I do want to wrap up all the Tablet Targets and Explorer's Isles. Not that I didn't do that already on a previous play, but...gonna do it again!

I checked to see where I was in DQXI and apparently there are 12 chapters and I'm starting 8? I dunno...I'm not buying that I'm 2/3 done. The story feels like it's only starting to gain traction, plus my party is only level 23. There's no way I finish a big JRPG with a party at level 35 or so. I haven't even clocked 20 hours yet (including the demo hours), so either the later chapters are way longer, or what I saw wasn't accurate. I have to do some grinding about now...I like to win easily, so I prefer to be over-leveled. I want to get Lev 2 more very useful-looking (dual wielding and HP regen, I think they were) sword skills...I'll need to gain around 9 levels before I can get enough points...and then start developing his Luminary branch for a bit. Not sure about the others. I finally dropped Erik from my party because the final tall party member is way more powerful...does way more damage and is a better tank. But left the 3rd and 4th members as they were, so my party is mostly unchanged from when I first got it filled.

Tootling around DQB2 for now, though, getting end-game stuff done. Can only play so much turn-based in one day! Even when I'm more comfortable with it than usual.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:I let my sisters play all of my games. I even made a special buyer account so that they can download all my digital games onto their own switch(es). Your brother should share! Well, unless you wreck or lose his stuff... (For a while I wouldn't let my youngest sister borrow my books because she reads them in the bath and she DROPs them. Warped wrinkle books! I bought her her own copy, instead, cuz then I don't care what she does to it. You damage my book, even so much as creasing the spine, and you buy me a new one. Dog-ear the pages and I disown you.)
I know, right? He should share, but he’s always been that way. Typical older brother behavior, I guess xD It’s very kind of you to share.

After more thought, I’d definitely add the Rune Factory series to my backlog. The only reason that I might not want to play the games is because I’m naturally very jumpy and I can’t even play Minecraft on any difficulty higher than peaceful without absolutely flipping out xD
Simply Unknown
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: EDIT 2: I'm not looking for spoilers, but is there any 'point of no return' in DQXI, where you can no longer do side-quests or stuff like that?
Uh, yes and no. There technically is a point of no return, but it just means you won't be able to really complete them until much later in the game. Like, after a certain point in the post-game. That being said, the rewards generally match up to when you get the quests, so it's generally better to try and complete them around the time you get them, just so you're more likely to use the rewards. Also, if you don't feel like playing the post-game, which is perfectly valid, then yes, there is technically a cut-off.

Of course, I'm the kind of person who desperately needs to complete sidequests as soon as I get them, so that was rarely a problem for me. :oops:
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Haven't made in gaming progress - I've been working on a project instead, and I went to the movie theater. People kept talking about Encanto, and I wanted to know why. I get it now.

But I had to stop in and say (because I absolutely cannot resist talking about DQXI, it's impossible) - Kikki, for the love of all that is good, don't worry about the tockle quests until you've got Holy Protection from the luminary skill branch and a large pool of magic. The old-school random encounters in the pixel areas are maddening. I'm seriously not even bothering until post-game this time, I can't with them.

If you're wanting to judge levels vs story, I think I was... around level 50 at the end of Act 2/main story? And around 70 near the end of Act 3/post-game?

You have Sylvando now! My darling, I love him so much. I tend to keep him and Eric in my party because using Sylvando to buff Eric then having the thief use his Cobra Strike > Victimizer moves is just. Mwah.

Oh man, Okami, I haven't thought about that game in a while. Absolutely gorgeous game - I do remember having to fight That One Spider-y Boss like. Way too many times while trying to 100% it.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

FarmingForDaysMan wrote:I know, right? He should share, but he’s always been that way. Typical older brother behavior, I guess xD It’s very kind of you to share.
Some siblings are just like that - my older sister did that too while we were growing up. The only things she'd let me have were things she'd lost interest in (luckily for me Harvest Moon was one of them!). Maybe your brother will let you play Arceus once he's done with it? Even if it takes a while.

--
The more I hear about Dragon Quest the more I'm thinking about redownloading Builders 2. :) It sounds like just about the perfect amount of mental stimulus. I don't really want to go through the whole story again, but, I might for some of the extra building materials. I've even thought about getting Minecraft. All my brain can really handle right now is the idea of something slow and easy.

I may still be recovering from being sick. Definitely better, just...a lot of brain fog, a runny nose, and a completely « Snuggly Bunny » sense of taste/smell. Never had that happen before, losing your sense of taste from being sick. It's depressing, honestly. :lol: Food is my major source of comfort, so having it stolen is very not nice.

On the positive end of things I feel good enough to actually write a message. All I've played in the last week is Genshin. It's just...easy. Still working my way through the Enkanomiya sidequests. It's just nice, having a new area to run around in with the same comfy characters. And this is a very nice area.

I think I'm gonna go plug my Switch in and get DQB2 downloading. It would be nice to have a second game going, even if only for a little while.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I usually spend at least one day with every cold/flu with no sense of taste. You're lucky this is the first time you've experienced it, Mikodesu! My dad is like that. He actually doesn't really believe it happens because he's never experienced it, though we've ALL told him it does, and he's seen for himself how miserable my mom is when her sense of taste disappears. (My mom's the type who feels like they can't live without three desserts a day.) It's really insult upon injury. Hopefully it'll pass soon!

~

Thanks, Days; my sisters are both sweet. :) They're very good to me as well, so it's natural even as an adult that I'd continue to give them whatever I can, but in our house growing up, no one got to own their own video games. They belonged to the family, so you might be the one playing at a certain moment, but it wasn't your choice, whether you would share or not. Try to hog the computer too long (we had no consoles other than an Atari 2600 that we had no games for other than 1978 version of Breakout) and mom would be in to tell you get off right now and let your sister have a turn. Though we usually didn't need told. Honestly, I had a pretty harmonious childhood...we didn't fight much. Didn't hurt that my middle sis rarely even wanted a turn. Most often it'd just be me playing with baby sis watching and making suggestions, or vice-versa.

~

Okay, yzafre :) I do really hate random encounters. The first pixel quest the game pushes you to do only took about 2 minutes, so I thought they'd all be relatively short, but if they start to take longer, then I'll definitely want to pass by that for now. I've got 4 pastwords atm, I think...possibly 5? I left off about to go to a place called...Puerto something? I want to do a bunch of grinding to get my level up (and to get another skill for all party members...man it takes so long to amass the points needed to unlock skills!)

~

But meanwhile, FUN. DQB2 just feels good for my heart, lol. Last night I decided to do up the docks area of the Isle of Awakening (I like the name and can never bring myself to change it.) Making Captain Brownbeard his own house and yard, plus a huge boardwalk sort of area with conenut trees or whatever they're called and benches and lit-up ice fountains, with a huge storage depot at the end to place all my stuff. Now that I've got the end-game hammer that can bash down things without destroying them, my inventory is too large to fit into the 7 pages of the rucksack, so storage has become vital.

It just feels weirdly good to make happy habitats for all these characters, lol. Watching Brownbeard stand there all day and night, without so much as a toilet nearby...ugh. Feels good to make him a really nice place, even if he'll never actually use it. I feel like, in secret when the game is off, when there's an impenetrable black wall hiding all the NPCs from the player, he's lounging in the bath I made him, or sitting in his garden, enjoying all the grass and flowers and a snack on the patio. :)

Gonna get his house done, and the storage, and then revamp the climb up to the Hairy Hermit's mountaintop temple, and put a place up there for him, too.