Animal Crossing Direct: October 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It looks too dark? I'm not sure what you mean. Most rooms going to out to the main area of the museum is just a black portal...a doorway filled with darkness. I don't know if I'm just not understanding what you mean, but each of them is a doorway that fades to black inside, except the bug wing, where every spot is filled with bright light, even the exit/entrance from the lobby. In all wings, the doorways leading to other areas of the same wing are filled with light.

The one strange thing is the angle, since we're looking RIGHT AT that door, as though the scene were shot on a 45 degree angle, like with the mailbox trick. Most other doors in the museum are visible from the side. I do think it's interesting that we're seeing a doorway from this angle. I don't see any significance to it being dark, though. To me that just means it's the exit out to the lobby. It's on the right side of the frame to exit into the lobby, too.

I love the decor in there. Feels a bit like an expensive, plush library with all those rich goldy greens and browns. I am curious about the angle. I kind of wonder...this is sudden random speculation, but...maybe we're going to be allowed to change camera angles when taking pictures now? Probably not, but everyone loves that mailbox trick for getting great photo options and it'd be cool if they'd add perspective shift to the game. (Wow, would that ever make arranging your town more intricate! :shock: )
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I finally caved and started a new island. It took me a long time to get the orange airport I wanted and the right island layout. I'm slowly getting some villagers I want using old amiibo cards, Marshall, Fauna, Lolly.

I've very little patience left and have time travelled abit. I'm just getting 4th room tomorrow, island is at level 3. I'm enjoying playing it again. For me AC is about the journey and not so much the destination. I don't care for my island to be filled to the brim with stuff; I don't obsess with getting every item in every colour. I put what appeals to me. I'll have to beg online for flowers and fruit eventually which I really wish were obtainable from the pretty much (imho) useless random Nook mile islands.

So I'm looking forward to the Direct tho I' m keeping my expectations very low.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I miss the feeling of anticipation, checking in on Windfall every day to see what was new. What had developed or been built, what new fish might be available, or etc. There's nothing left for me as ACNH is right now. I already have things laid out as I want and no desire to redo it. I have everything you can give to the museum (except 5 pieces of art. Or 4, maybe.)

I have a HUGE list of things I'd love to see added to the game, but what I'd like to ask of this AC Direct is that it give the game back some freshness. Give me back that feeling of WANTING to check in each day, to find some new little thing, like new hybrids blooming or a visitor to the island selling something new or a villager with some interesting things to say, instead of the same announcement from Isabelle (no news today!) the same visitors from whom I already have everything I want (except Redd who just never brings those 4-5 art pieces!) and villagers who all say the same things every day even if they're a brand new character just arriving in your town that day since all characters are identical to personality type rather than unique to themselves.

I've just totally used up the content this game has, is all, and it feels utterly stagnant to me, now. I need new and fresh if I'm to get interested in it again. I am curious. Nintendo has the habit of either deeply disappointing everyone or blowing them out of the water with an unexpected and interesting new idea.

Well, the Direct will probably be cute and fun to watch, either way, and I do think the decor in The Roost is gorgeous. I will definitely dress Alizée up to look good in that room and take some pictures once it's been installed in Windfall. I'm already putting outfits together in my head, lol. I don't collect those colours for her, so I need to shop!

EDIT: Oh, btw, Animal Crossing...World, I think it is? Had the blurry image of The Roost with the big words obscuring most of the image removed. You can see it here if you want a better (but still very blurry) look at The Roost's decor. Just noticed that the wallpaper appears to be a new colour version of the desert-tile wallpaper. I think? Not that I think that's significant, I just hadn't noticed.

EDIT 2: I'll go ahead and throw my prediction out now, of what the update will contain.
Spoiler:
  • Gauranteed, or very close to it:
  • The Roost added to the Museum
  • Brewster (he hasn't been shown, but c'mon...he's almost GOT to be the guy at the Roost!)
  • Fairly likely:
  • Gyroids (cuz gyroids and Brewster seem to go together...I'd love a gyroid wing in the museum opposite The Roost, though I don't think they've ever been donatable before. I always wanted to be able to place them in the museum in New Leaf...it still bugs me that I couldn't!)
  • A decent bunch of new characters (meaning mainly returning ones that don't yet exist in NH, not brand new characters...if there are enough of those left) to round out Series 5 to a full set of 100 cards
  • Unknown, but seems like a good time for:
  • New crops (would be in time for US Thanksgiving, and their existence was datamined AGES ago. Though not everything existing in unused code necessarily becomes anything later on. I hope it does; the crops are nice landscape additions. I still love my permanent pumpkin farm.)
  • A Nookling store expansion (oh, to finally get rid of that weird place-keeper platform it's standing on!)
  • New furniture to round out a larger store display, and people have been nagging for it consistently.
  • Far-fetched but maybe a new camera angle to photograph from, going by the AC Direct screenshot image?
Gyroids and new furniture would hopefully give more to do long-term, beyond just a week or two after the update.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have a feeling they'll bring back the cross-over villagers (Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon).
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I've been wondering the last few days... we talked about this when the game first released, but I can't find anything of it in this thread at least.

Does anyone think that paid DLC will be involved?

If there's anything that will not make me pick up the game again, I think paid DLC is it. I would have been interested a year ago, but not now. If it's paid it has to be giving me the sun and the moon, for a reasonable price. And that's the least likely thing of all...
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think there's going to be both; free patched like The Roost and gyroids and paid DLC like a new island to explore, decorate, and invite villagers to, maybe even have new shops.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This update already HAS paid DLC, in the form of the Series 5 cards you have to buy if you want to experience that content, and I loathe the whole trading-card thing, like gacha to begin with since you can't choose what you buy, and also with no protection from scalpers using bots to scoop everything up before regular shoppers can get anything.

I feel like it's too soon for them to start charging for extra content, with people still unhappy about it being an 'incomplete' game. If they do decide to charge for stuff, it'll need to be really NEW, extra stuff...not for adding back anything that already existed in New Leaf.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I guess "series 5" is still a bit of a mystery...had to google it. I should count that as DLC, but Nintendo has been doing amiibo for so long (and I've never bought a single one) that I sort of separate it out mentally. Not being able to buy a complete set of cards is ridiculous -- scalpers would make it hard to get ahold of those anyway.

I can definitely see DLC playing out like Ronin thinks it will, though. Can't decide yet if I hate it or not, yet. :lol: I wouldn't call New Horizons complete by the usual Animal Crossing standard, but there IS a lot of content in the game, even if it's repetitive.

I'll try not to judge before I see it... It's sort of like the new pricing for Switch Online. :D Why get mad before you know what you're dealing with? It's just excess stress.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Series 5 is the only other thing we know for sure will be in this Direct...this should be its first official unveiling. I can't pin down if it's rumour or fact, but I've heard multiple times that it is a FULL series of 100 cards like all the others, which...well, you can surmise, since we do have a lot of special NPCs left and some special crossover villagers, but not enough to fill the full 100, afaik.

I guess they could be putting NEW villagers in there. Or new special characters. Or just new versions of exiting special characters. Maybe Gullivaaaar will have his own card. I'm betting he will. But if they do plan to bring back all the old special NPCs, I wonder in what capacity. Just as posters you can collect, or campers who can't move in, or will they actually be IN the game, themselves? That would be a pretty huge change...I'm thinking it won't go that far.

I've never been a fan of trading cards in any form, whether connected to a game, anime...whatever. Anything where you have to buy sealed packs of unknown contents, meaning you'll have to buy a probably huge amount of packs to get the few you really care about. That whole scheme always made me grind my teeth. Always felt sleazy to me, even without scalpers thrown into the mix.

Well...won't be long 'til we find out exactly what IS in this update. Less than 48 hours, now!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I love sheep villagers and have almost all of their cards. IIRC, Pietro was the only one I never got because his card was going for 50-80 CAD at the time. I eventually just gave up and got a custom amiibo card from etsy, because « Snuggly Bunny » scalpers.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Series 5 is probably going to consist of NPCs and villagers that were introduced to New Horizons along with possibly the crossover amiibo characters. I'd love to get my hands on the crossover amiibos I'm missing along with Raymond's card.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don’t consider Amiibos DLC but that’s just me.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They're game content you have to buy separately and pay extra for...they're DLC to me, except worse, because they're digital data wrapped in a physical item and thus prey to scalpers, on top of the gacha grab-bag nature of closed random sets of cards. I mind amiibo figures much less than the amiibo cards. For one, at least you can display the figures. For another, you get to buy the specific figure you want, not buy a mystery pack of 5 cards which may turn out to be all ones you either don't want or already have. Bleeeeaah...

I don't think there are enough characters, even with all crossover characters and NH characters to make a series of 100, though. There are only 8 brand new villagers, and about 10 new special NPCs, like Flick and CJ and Gullivarrr. There are only...I think 18-20 crossover characters. So added together and rounding up, that's still only 40 characters. Even if you count every NPC as a new character (like Isabelle and Tom, if they give them their own New Horizons specific version) there's still only about thirty in all, so nowhere near getting us to a full set of 100. That's why I've been wondering, if it's true that it's a full series (100 cards), just who would be in it.

But maybe that isn't true. Maybe Series 5 will be smaller than the other series, like...I think the Welcome Amiibo set was 50? Though it's not part of the numbered series.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:I have a feeling they'll bring back the cross-over villagers (Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon).
I want all the cut villagers from previous games back.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Edit: Wrong thread lmao