Backlog 2021

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Still trucking along in Monster Crown. My team is all in their 30-40 level wise and I have two absolute juggernaut dragon monsters that one hit kill almost everything. Not sure how long that'll last, but it feels nice to slap around the NPC's teams and get easy exp for my weaker mons.

I have however encountered a glitch that may make me wait until the patch. The character to raise my monster's level cap has a glitched monster in her team that has no name, prevents you from attacking, only defends until the synergy bar glitches out, and if you try to switch out your monster, the game crashes. The dev has confirmed fixing this is in the upcoming patch, so cool. I want my level cap raised as high as possible so I can snag powerful overleveled monsters and place them on my team, because it's really the best way to go about the game. It's not as easy as Pokémon where you can more or less use your favorites the whole game. Doing that in Monster Crown is a serious grind and would honestly be a nightmare to try and achieve. I'd much rather just snag the boss monsters onto my side that train my starter for hours upon hours.

Welp, on that note, Dungeon Encounters has unlocked! Let's see how I like this one.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I seem to be (comparatively) good at using Revali and Link and Zelda, okay with Mipha and Impa, but terrible with Daruk and Urbosa. It feels like their moves just do no damage, and the way Daruk moves is awful...I can't control him properly and he wiggles all over the place. :/ Which means I'm using them wrong, but...I really hate this party system, where you have to keep ALL of them leveled up. I hate that in ALL games where members level up individually rather than as a group. Haaaaaaaaaaate it, guys! It's so tedious keeping the characters you don't want to play up to snuff for when you HAVE to play them all at least occasionally.

At least you can pay to level up, but...it takes so long to earn the rupees to buy those levels! There's just no truly fast way to levelling up party members who are lagging behind.

I'm so bad at playing as Urbosa that I'm failing a level 3 mission with her (she's 9...Link is 21, but I didn't bring him to this battle since HE doesn't need leveled up!). I'm on easy, too. I don't get it. Honestly, I'm terrible at this sort of thing. And I think battles in this game go all the way up to about level 100? At the moment I'm just trying to get all my party members to level 16.

Well, I'll try again tomorrow. I don't have a lot of patience for gaming any more, it seems, when it becomes anything like a chore. This year has been tough for gaming. I mean yeah, I've been busy lately, but all of 2021 has been full of gaming ennui, I feel. I don't think it's just me. I guess it could be, but I feel like I've been hearing similar stories from a lot of people. How they just don't have the patience they used to have with this or that (in gaming) and they don't like things as much as they used to and so on. I was relieved when I played Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and loved it, because it proved I could and I was starting to think I'd grown numb to it entirely.

Also when I finally got to the second game of Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (so...the sixth case of the compilation, I think), because the first game was a bit tiresome. But anyway, when I come across a game I really like, I love it as much as I ever used to, but they're just happening so much more rarely. I feel like I've gotten fussier, or less tolerant/patient, or...something.

Still, I think if I just keep at Age of Calamity for a week, even if I only play for an hour a day (about all I have the patience for, I think) I'll get into a groove. I think! I'm going to try to wrap this game up before Grow at the latest, but preferably by the end of October. If possible. Life stuff is more important and demanding attention for a while, but as long as I put all my game time on this...maybe I can?

My hand/arm is now starting to crackle and go numb when I play anything controller-intense for half an hour. Hope that chiro appointment bumps something back into a better place.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Played some lunar today, and tried out crisis core too. I've been doing pretty good lately game wise. Not so much the last few days. I DID actually have to help move things and I don't think my spine liked it. Think that's what's causing my shivers. O think being sick also messed up my temperature sensitivity too. The cold triggers it but then my spine takes it and my muscles pull as tight as they can. It just does not feel like what shivers are supposed to feel like or have ever felt like and it's not very fun. My legs kind of hurt in the muscles in a weird way now too. I'm done though. Or will be tomorrow after I shove half of a desk inside...The really heavy stuff I'm not helping with, but there was definitely things that should have been put in the category. I got 200$ for the work too, so I have some extra money to spend on games now too. Was not going to be as much but I had to put up with a lot...

I think I'm really going to enjoy lunar hopefully, though I haven't played much so far. Need to get really into it. Also going to be working on crisis core and I have final fantasy tactics, ys seven and phantasy star portable to play too among other things. Have to actually remember to play and watch things earlier in the day tomorrow. Now that I don't have to go anywhere anymore though that might help. Planning on hooking my PlayStation up, maybe this weekend, too. I'll finally be able to finish cold steel 2 hopefully. Once I get to the end, anyways.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Hope your spine's recovered from all that work, Daikon boy. :/ Moving furniture (assuming that's what it was) is hard enough on a fully recovered body. Pay for your work is always nice, though.

--
After playing One World for a couple more days I've activated my new money making plan: passive income. Now I just have to wait for it to bear fruit. Ha. The plan is fruit trees. I made most of the food I could make, sold it, and sank it into...at least 30 fruit trees, planted all over everywhere.

It would involve a lot of sleeping through days but you could grind it out pretty fast with enough trees. And afaik it's the only thing in the game that earns you a continuous stream of income without any effort other than collecting your money. At the rate I'm going it shouldn't be more than a (real world) week before I've got the final house upgrade... Might have to sleep through most of an in game week or two to knock out the last 100k or so, but not too bad honestly. I think the best plan is probably going to be to get myself to a good spot where I can put it down and come back later to dive into hybrids. And maybe the DLC. If I catch it on sale I could be tempted.

Might try out the event in Genshin later. I am NOT good at rhythm games but the original one was pretty fun after you got the hang of it. :) Got my fanart turned in (the idea of forgetting makes me anxious, so I hate running up against deadlines)... not that that will amount to anything. I guess I got the feelings out, and it's nice to say a small thank you, assuming that gets through to anyone.

Haven't picked up Animal Crossing again yet. I think I'll be waiting until right before the update drops to go back in and clean up my island. Probably wouldn't hurt to start saving some money, though. Cut my money trees, grow some more. I had a pretty good savings fund going but...nothing anywhere near what we'll need for the new shops.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, I've got The Good Life sitting on my PS5. Granted, I don't feel like playing it right away; the reviews for the game have been rather mixed and it's making me hold off on playing it now. I think I'll finish up my current run of the Mass Effect Trilogy (Going to romance Thane and Samara) and then focus on my Vita, which has two games left on it (Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy 6). The Vita won't have any new games for me to play, so finishing those games up means I can retire the system until I want to play a game on there like Harvest Moon Hero of Leaf Valley.

I'm tempted to remake my island in Animal Crossing. After seeing the direct a few times, it's got me to thinking I may be capable of making something great as opposed to something safe. I want to make a forest with treehouses, but then I got to thinking that the villagers can't climb (I'll need inclines) and you can only use bridges over water, which defeats the purpose of having a hanging bridge to connect the upper floor with. I know you can makeshift bridges, but you can't make tunnels. It sucks, but I'll probably think of a way.

I've also made the decision to hold off on Pokemon Legends Arceus and Danganronpa Decadence. I've got a lot of games to finish and, well, news lately of Arceus doesn't seem to be good and I'd rather wait on reviews and gameplay (I'll probably make my decision before the mystery event of getting that Growlithe Kimono ends) and I'm not sure I'm even a fan of Danganronpa as much as I thought. I got into the series on the recommendation of my friend, but I'm not sure.

Still gonna get Mario Party Superstars, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Horizon Forbidden West (it's already paid off), and Rune Factory 5. Monark has a release date too, but it's so close to Horizon that I'm gonna wait on it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I am chipping away at Age of Calamity with a toothpick. I somehow missed two spots, one level 9 and one level 10, in totally different areas of the map...gonna do these before moving on to the next main story segment. All my characters are levelled up to the suggested Lvl 16 or higher, so it's a go on the next story battle. Just gotta finish these two smaller battles first.

I'm still really terrible at using certain characters, though. All I really know is Y = small attack, X = big attack, and Y+direction button is an item attack or something (I always just use bombs.) And ZR is...uh, a character-specific special attack? Though I have no idea what it means to absorb Impa's runes...I do it once in a while anyway. And B is to dodge, that's simple enough...except when it's to wall jump. Or once in a while when you're standing in just the right place, it's to do the hokey-pokey. I pretty much just whack away, mainly at X unless I need speed, and occasionally press all the other buttons, saving a charged-up A attack for when I'm facing a huge crowd or a powerful enemy. I do NOT know what I'm doing...I'm just bashing away. Thing is, I have no interest in 'getting good'. As long as I can coast by, it's fine. Though I'm sure I'd be sailing along much faster if I actually had any skill.

It seems like it's going to take me a VERY long time to finish this. I do like unlocking map bits, but playing AoC is often rather chore-like, for me.

EDIT: Just figured out where I am in the game. I completed Chapter 2 and am soon to go into the first of two main story battles that comprise chapter 3. Or I could say that I've just finished main scenario battle #7 of 20. Going by chapters, I'm just over a quarter done the main story, but by battles, I'm a touch over a third. I bet the lower estimate is closer to right. Still, I'm somewhat in the groove, now. If I just KEEP myself there, I think I could finish this, this month. The trick is not slipping out of the groove yet again, but either it's quite slippery, or I am.
Last edited by Kikki on Oct 16, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daikon boy
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

@Miko

Thanks. I was moving furniture. Completely done now, since we got the (much too heavy) desk inside, so I took a hot bath and am not planning on doing anything for the next few days so I can give it a rest. I think it'll be okay if I rest my body. I'm not going to be anywhere too cold so hopefully if I just rest and don't do anything it doesn't like it won't set it off and it'll be better.

I think I actually tore some muscles from them clenching up so hard so I'm definitely not going to be doing anything my spine doesn't like in the future if I can help it. It's been pretty good when I'm not doing those things though so I think I'll be okay. I should be able to rest for a long long time now.

Preordered shin Megami tensei v but they got my address wrong and I can't change it...hopefully they'll just change it for me. I sent in a request to them or something but if not...I MIGHT still be able to grab the package but I don't know what I'll do. I also have to pre-order rune factory 5 later on when I can do that but I'll worry about that later.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Still waiting on the Monster Crown patch. PC has theirs but Nintendo is dragging their feet. Dungeon Encounters is interesting butI don't know how much time I'll dedicate to it honestly. It will remain on my switch to pick at, and I'm glad I bought it because I want to encourage more experimental games like this, but it's timing is bad. I don't have a time/motivation to do 99 floors of dungeons with brutal death mechanics.

Feeling the pull of Black Desert again, but I know I shouldn't. I'll be sucked into FFXIV again in two days and then the Animal Crossing update + DLC is just around the corner too. Well, at least I have Tuesday off so I can go all in on the Moogle event day one.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm doing pretty good! I finished Chapter 3 of Age of Calamity just now (Sundays are nice, so quiet, as my entire family is in rest mode, and hospitals and banks and etc are closed, so errands and appointments are largely out, too.) I not only finished the missions/story of Chapter 3, but every single thing that unlocked on the map in this chapter, too, so I'm not building up any carry-over to take into Chapter 4 with me. Link is level...31, I think? Everybody else is level 26-29. My next story mission is level 25, so I'm doing okay. Plan to level everyone up to 30 before continuing with main missions, though.

Staying in the groove is clearly essential. I can't divide my attention with AoC, as I forget how to play within only a few days.

The story's cute, but it doesn't feel like the real story, to me, of what happened before BotW...it feels like an AU fan-fiction. That leaves me less invested, for sure. Though I do still wonder if this could turn out to be the lead in to BotW2, one way or another.

Not playing anything else, except ten minutes here and there of ACNH, prepping things for the update...making money for all the stuff I'll need and getting ready to make space and move things around so I can remake some areas. Thanks to Shan, I now have more bells than I've ever had at once before, so I'll be able to afford to destroy and build new inclines if I need to. The thought of making all that money via bugs or fish, which I don't even enjoy, was really dragging me down, so that gets a big woot.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

It happened. I started playing ACNH again. I also got an OLED Switch, which I didn't get a chance to use last week because I was working A LOT. I decided to load Animal Crossing and transfer my island from my Switch Lite, but learned that resets the play timer in your activity log. ;_; I didn't play in October last year, so I am currently enjoying the pumpkins. Played a bit of September via time travel, I was thinking I was missing some of the bugs and fish for the museum. I wasn't, but I was also secretly hoping to get the last couple September acorn recipes too. It didn't seem like they, or the materials, were spawning via TT. The main goal right now is to thin my flowers, which I don't do often enough. I was surprised there weren't more weeds in my town, but I think it's because there are an absolutely berserk amount of flowers.

I did not play very many games last week! Just a bit of Garden Story. I finished the Summer boss, and am getting ready to enter the next (Fall?) area. This game is... pretty small, and simple, but it's perfect for when I'm stressed out at work. I think I would be frustrated if I tried anything more complicated right now. Reminds me a lot of Cattails, as it scratches a similar itch for me, but they are not very alike. And I do like Garden Story a lot better than Cattails.

Also still playing Warioware, which is frustrating, but clearing a few missions at a time is satisfying. I'm not sure what would make me set it down for good. As many of the challenges as I've cleared, there are still about a million and I feel like I've barely made a dent. Completing it isn't very likely, and yet. I am still playing it.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

This was...a weekend. Feeling fairly productive though. I've got a LOT of art projects going and I'm learning how to multitask a little better to keep them all going and still have time for gaming.

Aside from endless recipe collection I think the last major purchase I have in One World is the big house. Got both the big barn and the first house upgrade tonight, so I don't think it'll be any issue getting to a stopping point before the AC update/DLC drops.

I like the direction Natsume's games are going in, but this is still way too grindy for me to want to replay. I'd rather just play my split file, I think.

Still kinda tired from chasing a gecko around the house tonight. Third one in the last month...no idea what's happened. Somehow managed to capture them all unharmed though. They're a weird species too, different from the majority of the geckos here. Kinda pinkish and with more bulbous toes (more like a very pink Geico gecko).

Got a liiittle more work to do tonight and then I think I'll spend the rest of my night chilling.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So I got through the prologue for The Good Life. My advice, don't get it on PS4/5 My word; the world is huge, but everything that's been built up glitches in and out of existence too much. It's actually annoying. Aside from that, the world is too big; I barely run into NPCs. Naomi also runs too slow to make it around town enough. She can sprint, but she has a stamina bar. She also has a hunger meter, which I didn't know about. I bought food to subside that, but it didn't take and it wasn't in my inventory.

With the technical issues out of the way, Naomi is also just not a good protagonist. She's very hard to like with her introduction and cursing the town. She only seems to care about getting money to get out of massive debt. I guess I'm just feeling like I backed an entirely different game than what was advertised. I'm dropping The Good Life.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I ended up deciding to work on the shared FATEs in FFXIV yesterday. I already have Kholusia and Tempest finished from previous grinding, but I finished Lakeland in this play session too. I then went and got the rest of the areas to rank 2/3 just to see how populated said areas are on the weekend. It's faster if there's people around also grinding FATEs, but it's also doable on your lonesome + your chocobo companion as a party member. Overall, I have 175 more FATEs to do in order to unlock everything. After that I'll probably have to grind more to get the currency to buy all the unlockables that I need. This makes me tired thinking about it, but it's doable. I need like 1 day per zone left, because there's no way I'm going to have patience to tackle everything that's left all at once. It does feel nice finally getting the highly sought after music scrolls though. I was even lucky yesterday when I checked the market board, managing to be able to afford one scroll that's never up for sale (and with it, I now have all the music scrolls from Stormblood). Can't wait to surprise my FC mates by playing all their faves that are a total pain to get in our house jukebox.

Played AC for 2ish hours afterwards. I went sea creature diving and got everything out there this time of year except the umbrella octopus. It's apparently quite rare(?) so I may save hunting it down for when there's new creatures to catch next month. Almost all the fish I still need to catch are pier or river mouth, and those are such a pain to spawn. Just let me buy bait, or I'm not even going to bother. Bugs I'm missing are a butterfly, a dragonfly, ants, flies, and a bunch of tree bugs, which is hell for me because I have a thick forest on my island (on purpose) so I'll have to get them via nook miles tickets (or sailing with Kappn?). I wish we could trade fish and bugs like we can fossils.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Fish that spawn at pier only are much easier to catch on a Nook Miles island, Bluie. For example, sturgeons seem almost common on them (river mouth fish) and mahi mahi (pier) are still rare but not nearly as much so, somehow. Mahi mahi was my final hold out, but I did eventually get it on an island (just where you land, at the airport pier...even though the airport pier in your own town doesn't spawn pier-specific fish, lol.)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I agree, I do, but I remember spending literal hours pier fishing on islands and got every other big fish (available at the time) except the mahi-mahi. I was about to go feral. I honestly think it may have been one of the biggest things that made me drop the game outside feeling that I was 'done' after getting my 5 start rating. Fish frustration/fatigue is not something I want to deal with in my relaxing simulation game. The rest of the fish are fine (ocean/river) but the pier and mouth fish can piss right off. I went through 20+ bait last night and not one big fish shadow spawned in either location. I hate digging up clams and then having to make each piece of bait one at a time for NOTHING. JUST LET ME BUY BAIT!