Story of Seasons (mobile game) trailer

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Here it is. Wasn't sure if it belonged anywhere else. This is the game that was announced two years ago...we're finally getting a look at it.

The trailer.
Chrysalis-Lyn
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

It actually looks really polished?? I love the art direction, the character design, and the environments. The colors are super vibrant! I'm also confused (and admittedly out of the loop). Why didn't SOS: PoOT look like this? Is it possible this game will also be on consoles?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This wasn't made by any of the same people, as far as I know. It's Marvelous' IP, so they'll always be in the credits as this being their game, but the people who actually do the work on the games can be different. This mobile game was made by NeXT Studios, and Olive Town was largely done by Three Rings, Inc. They both look 'Bokumono' to me, in different ways, but the style is definitely really different. I like the look of the mobile game. If it's available in North America, I will almost definitely try it, though I'm curious about the gameplay. I'm generally not into mobile games but there can be some exceptions.
Chrysalis-Lyn
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Thank you for the extra info! That clarifies why it looks and feels so different. Despite those differences, I agree that it does appear quintessentially "Bokumono." The cheery colors and locales fit the spirit of the series. I am also not much of a mobile gamer, but I might give it a try if it comes to NA. I'm just a little concerned about monetization. The possibility of micro-transactions/p2w is too real with mobile games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, since it's mobile, it's pretty nearly guaranteed that there will be micro-transactions or some way for them to continually bleed you drop by drop, but in some games they make that less necessary, so you paying is truly optional. I'd really like to see gameplay, though. Does it work by units of energy? One unit will water one crop? If you run out, you have to wait for it to refill with time, or buy more? Do social interactions with other characters cost money? Is there some multiplayer aspect? I'd really like to know how it works. There are a few mobile games out there that are pretty fair about the way they try to make money off of you, and others that are downright sleazy. As yet I can't at all tell where this fits in the range. Also, some game loops are addictive and others are tedious,a nd I don't know where this fits, either. So much to find out, still! The trailer really just showed us what it looks like, not much of how it works, as far as I can understand with not knowing the language used in the trailer.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

For a mobile game it actually looks really pretty. Plenty of mobile games that have been ported to switch have been a pass for me as they have that "phone game" look. I wonder if it will consistently look that good? I have no idea if my phone would even be able to play it if it came over here, but after being disappointed with PoOT, I hope this one does well. Maybe since this one had more time in the oven it might? I'd have to see some more game play to get more of an opinion on it, but I definitely like the art/designs they've shown.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Since it's Tencent I've gotta wonder what the monetization strategy will be. :/ Premium currency for cosmetics, or for inviting rare characters to your town? Maybe both. Probably both.

The art style looks pretty good, though! Boggles my brain how much the Guilty Gear, Arc Systems approach to 3D modeling has just taken OVER. But I guess when you explain how you did what you did in a GDC talk, the copycats will follow. Hell, even I've played around with it. :lol: The new Guilty Gear puts this to shame but...of course it would.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It does look very nice. I understand mobile gaming and they’re usually A) like Stardew where what you’re seeing is what you get for about X amount of $$$ or B) there’s the based game and extra paid bonuses you can get.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Stardew isn't actually a mobile game, though. It's a PC and then console game that was eventually made available on mobile devices as well, but it operates the same way as it does on console so it's just something you buy outright and then can play forever how you want, like any console game.

There seem to be very few of those for games that were actually designed for mobile, like this SoS is. It'd be great if that was an option...I always want to just outright buy my games, not pay in bits and pieces for what I want to be allowed to do...but I'm betting it won't be.

Most mobile games work by giving you an energy or stamina bar of some kind, I find. Like, you have 30 units of energy. Each action you take uses up one unit. When you run out of units, you can no longer do anything, unless you pay to buy more energy, or if you wait until the timer runs out. As a random example...maybe your energy replenishes every 4 hours...meaning it takes 8 minutes to regain one unit of energy. Most games I know on mobile work that way, including otome games, which give you about 5 action units per 24 hour period, so you can read 5 little sections of the story before you have to win more through mini-games, or buy a package of them. (There's usually SOME way to sneak in a few extra units of energy for free, via gacha or mini games or something like that...or a daily sign-in bonus.)

Or sometimes they get you via luxury options like customization. Make actions free but make you pay for extra candidates or new clothes or crops...etc. Or they can try to bleed you from both directions at once. Or they can even add a third way to get your money, and make the actions in the game run on a timer. If you don't want to wait X-hours-or-days until your seed maker is built, they could give you the option to pay real money to speed it up.
Areli
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I really loved the trailer, the style reminded me of various games actually.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I have to say that the graphics look nicer than I was expecting, though my one complaint would be that the animals look a bit odd in a way I can't quite put my finger on. If it does get released here I'll probably give it a shot, though I rarely spend money on mobile games so if the gameplay is heavily geared towards that I can't see myself playing it for very long.
Bribri
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Will the game get its own subforum on this site? And does anyone have any details on the marriage candidates?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This is the only known information so far, that we got in this trailer just a few days ago. And it probably won't get its own forum. (Plus we don't even know yet if it will be available in North America or Europe...so far that hasn't been confirmed, afaik. Some mobile games never leave their country of origin, like Fantasy Life's mobile version.) We do have access to the trailer with captions translated into English, but it's nothing particularly revealing, to me.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Oh man this actually looks really good to me. IMO this feels like the true next game in the series instead of PoOT. I really hope they port it to switch.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Is the dialogue in Japanese? I know the town isn’t using a Japanese word. Apparently it’s made by a Chinese studio. How is SOS doing over there?

It looks nice. I agree with some other people i’ve seen elsewhere— the SOS spinoff games of late look legitimately better then their main stuff. My only issue is how babyfaced everyone looks.