Adding more personality to a character?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
MoonHalo139
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Gill's story has been explained in some online Japanese story that made everyone go "AWWWW" and the fangirls wet themselves.
Do you have the link for that? :) I really really really want to see it :heart:
(It's quite obvious that I am one of his fan-girls.)

Anyway, I just want to know, is Gill really going to become the kids' teacher after the school opens? :D If he is, then wouldn't that add an awesome amount of depth to him?

I mean, looking at him in the first place, he doesn't seem like the type who'd actually like kids but after your kids are born he turns into such a mushy banana! xD He becomes extra sweet after you marry him, and I just love it when he panicked when my character (I play Angela, she found a special place in my heart along side Gill, fave-pairing ever!!) was about to give birth.

My Gilly-willy bear is so cute! :heart:

Oh, and when does the school open?
Curimuch
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Gill's story was translated by Nurse Fin.

When I was seven years old, my mother passed away.

I was told the spring sunlight shone onto my resting mother's face, surrounded by a bed of flowers, looking as beautiful as a goddess I had once seen. My father quietly stood by my side, and held me close.

"Gil... I... I've lost everything."

I couldn't hold back the tears, and cried out loud.
I was a weak child. My father, as well; now that there was no longer the support of a mother, he appeared terribly unreliable.

When my mother was still alive, she seemed a beautiful woman even through the eyes of my child self. Perhaps it was all the fault of her poor constitution, but I know she was a person with an irreplaceably kind atmosphere about her. My mother could always be found knitting by the fireplace, and I liked to sit by her side and watch her. When my father came home from work, we would have stew cooking from that same fireplace, and we were a very happy family.

The state my father was in after my mother died was, quite frankly, pathetic. Many of the townspeople came by to ask how he was doing, but my father shut himself in his room and wouldn't meet with anyone, he would instead spend every day looking at old photos of my mother.

Around that time, I started to learn everything on my own. It didn't matter whether it was cooking, cleaning, or sweeping the streets; I did everything. When I looked at my father's sloughy appearance, I felt that if I didn't take over the role that my mother played, what was left of our family would fall apart.

One day I tried making my mother's favorite dish, Ratatouille.
I thought that if I did that, even my father would be able to cheer up a bit.
However, no mater what I did, the flavor couldn't match my mother's cooking... I began to miss her, and cried alone.

Ever since then, we've never used the fireplace.

I wanted to become a stronger father than my own. I held more respect for my father than anyone else. He would always work for the sake of everyone in town, he would grow flowers for my mother, and pat me on the head, telling me his favorite phrase:

"Always do things for the sake of others. Always be kind toward others."

But after my mother died, my father changed entirely.
He'd never consider how others felt, and wouldn't even look at me.
It was like he had become a different person, a miserable father, and it felt like he began to resent me.

That's why one day, I came to a resolution. I took my mother's wedding ring that my father always spent hours gazing upon, and hid it inside the fireplace. I figured that if he didn't have any of these memoirs to distract him, he would eventually forget. Surely he would regain his footing, I thought.

As soon as I had carried out the plan, my father burst into my room in a rage.

"My... you don't know, do you!? It's really important! I can't find it!"

I was shocked. Because when I saw my father's face for the first time in so long, his eyes were bloodshot, his cheeks were hollowed, and looked nothing like the father I had known.
After that, my father unsteadily turned toward the living room, and fell to his knees.

"I... I couldn't save my wife. I wonder how that makes me fit to run a town.
Without my wife, I'm all alone, and it's too..."

I felt like I had seen the full extent of my father's suffering for the first time.
Until now, I wonder if I had really spoken to my languished father.
If I had talked to him......
The words came naturally.

"Father, I'm here. You are not alone."

My father turned his face, and quietly murmured,

"What are you saying..."

There was a prolonged silence as my father looked pensive, and then he calmly made his way across the living room, softly touching his way across as if he were looking over everything, one by one.

The three matching mug cups... mother's favorite stew pot... and the different-colored sweaters that my mother had knit for the both of us.

"I see. So that's it. My wife left behind all of these things so that we could continue to live on. We've got to hold on to what we have and make the most of it, you and I..."

"This fireplace holds many dear memories of your mother. When the day our scars heal finally arrives, we should light it."

When I looked at my father, I began to cry. But this time, they were tears of happiness. We'll work hard together.

That was 10 years ago. Our family has been working on the preparations for the coming winter.

"Father, is it all right if I throw away this old book over here?"

As I peered into the study, I saw my father looking at an old picture album.

"Gil, I think it's about time for us to clean out the fireplace...
A looong time ago, I stored some old folklore books in there, you know.
It won't do if we don't take them out of there."

"Books...?"

Suddenly, I remembered the ring that I had hidden.

"You know that new farmer that moved in recently, don't you? I was thinking of giving her those books."

Father looked like he was enjoying himself. Everything should be fine now.
Finally, we were able to decide we should light a new flame.

As my father began to clean out the fireplace, a visitor arrived in the house. When I entered the living room, having heard my father's pleas for help, I was shocked to see that he had gotten himself stuck in the fireplace, and that the new farmer was helping him out.

My father held out the books he had retrieved from the fireplace to the farmer.
At that time, my father looked like the perfect mayor... I didn't ask him whether he found the hidden ring or not.

From this winter forward, our fireplace yields a warm light.

END
NeverToSleep
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

ffffuuu that story was prettyy.
<3

Now i understand why all the Gill-fangirls was all AAAWW and so on.
Lexy Jenrex
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm not even a Gill fangirl and I'm all Awwww ;3; I like Gill now. ~<3
Auroralights
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

FFFF-

I thought I was gonna cry. Doesn't help that I was listening to sad music. Also explains the OMG-Hammie's-in-the-fireplace-WUT.

Hmmm... It's interesting how it seems that everyone in HM has a broken family. :?: Wonder why...?
Curimuch
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Well everyone in ToT/AP definitely. But in SI, the families feel a little more full.
Auroralights
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Especially in RF. None of the families are whole. You have a mother, or a father. AND THAT"S IT. O.o Maybe in RFF and RF3, but I haven't played that.

Oh, I forgot to say that the pic with Gill and his mother is beautiful. :)
Gwenefar
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

>3> I say the makers of HM are being too lazy to make a full family now.

=P I'd make at least one full family in SI; it makes the missing parent thing in the game seem kind of dull.
MoonHalo139
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Aww, that was beautiful! (>.<) I was oh-so-very close to tears!! (T.T) (Actually, I cried a little but hey, I'd be a monster if I didn't)

Was this an official story or was it fan made? I wanna know!! :D

Well, after reading that, no one can deny that Gill has a very deep back story. :]

Oh, and the picture of Gill and his mom, it's literally oozing with sweetness!! :D
Gwenefar
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

With the looks of his mother, it makes you wonder how Theodore looked like when he was younger to get a girl like that.
veggiespork
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Not all of the families are broken in ToT. Cain and his wife have their kids, Anissa and Taylor, and Phoebe has both of her parents, and so does Renee. That might be it, though.

I want to hear even more about Julius' past :)
And Skye's.
Gwenefar
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Does Skye even say anything about his past?
Lexy Jenrex
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Doesn't Julius also have both parents whom just travel? And what about Coleen and Jake? They are very much in love.
Chaos_44
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah they're traveling artists. And I think he said something about them wanting him to go with him or something, I really don't remember. I know that they are traveling artists though.

I don't like that they gave Gill that type of story because it's quite unfair. It doesn't make me dislike Gill, because I naturally don't really care for the guy, but it just makes me more annoyed that they didn't focus on other broken families and such. ToT/AP just had too many people to give them all full families. Which is why I don't like the excessive amount of people in it.
Gwenefar
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

=P I was only talking about SI needing some complete families.

They have NONE! A father or a mother is always missing.