Is this game good for starters?

Nintendo DS [ Game Guide ]

Which game would be better for starters?

You may select 1 option

View results

Mila
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Hi, everyone! :lala:

I've always loved the HM series, but I've only ever had two games of my own, and they were fairly old (DS and Friends of Mineral Town). I want to jump right back into the series, but I'm worried that there have been so many innovations and changes that I won't be able to do anything! For example, Sunshine Islands has the sun stones and the crop-weather system, which I don't know if I'll ever get used to, so I was considering Grand Bazaar instead, but the fact that it's a love-it or hate-it type of game makes me worry a bit. I've heard that it was really easy, which is good, since I want something to re-famialirize myself with everything. But I also heard it was super boring, and some people recommended SI instead. I admit Sunshine Islands looks better to me, but I'm just worried that with the wonderful stones, sun stones, irrigation system and marriage requirements I'd get really lost, since DS was easy as pie compared with all that (and I still found it pretty difficult...)

So basically, what are your views on this? Is it good for someone who is basically a beginner, or would I be better of with GB (even it's slightly boring) and TTOT?

Thank you!! :bunny:
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Well, if you want to go for ease of play, GB is the way to go. Both SI and ToTT have enough content in them to overwhelm even long time veteran HM players. But in terms of playing satisfaction, SI and ToTT completely blow GB out of the water. Honestly, you might want to see if you can borrow or rent these games before you make up your mind about what you want.
basket_case
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I downloaded Grand Bazaar for an emulator and tested it out when contemplating playing it, because it was so different. I played for 5 hours (over a week in game, long enough to do one bazaar) and decided I did not like it enough to spend money; I've never touched it again. Some people might say that most HM games start out slow and a week game time isn't enough, but I've played a lot of HM games and I felt comfortable saying this one wasn't for me.

It was boring, and the systems that should be familiar are not. For example, 1 bag of seeds is 1 plot, which has been used a couple of times but is not like HM:DS or FoMT. I hated this type of farming system in A Wonderful Life, because it made it tedious and not at all profitable to farm. IIrc, you need to watch the dirt color to water crops, usually once in the morning and at night, or something like that. You can catch bugs and butterflies in addition to flowers, which you can sell, which was kind of cool. It has a Star rating system on the items. I found the Bazaar intriguing but I wasn't sure that I liked it enough in practice, and ultimately it wasn't enough of a hook for me.

Grand Bazaar is very different from most HM games, and will feel very different from DS and FoMT.

On the other hand, Sunshine Islands has become my favorite HM game, surpassing DS and FoMT on my list. The Sunstone plot line is like finding the 100 sprites -- mostly you get them by doing things you would be doing anyway, like giving gifts to people, shipping crops, raising animals, etc. I like the unique island map. If you've played DS and FoMT you're not really a beginner in my book. I think this game will be the most familiar, with enough new and unique, and better graphics.

Crops range from easy to difficult to grow when it comes to the weather system. For some, you won't notice any difference from watering once a day. Others (mostly unlocked) can be difficult and require careful planning. I love that one of the staples of the series is a little bit more intricate and challenging than other HM games, yet still profitable, but some people hate having to keep notes to keep track of their crops.

You get a nice maximum number of animals for chickens, cows and sheep, and you get colored alternatives that give more expensive products (but less often). The pig is possibly my favorite pet of all time--I have a love-hate relationship with chasing that bugger down and stealing his mushroom. The horse, on the other hand, is one of the biggest drawbacks. He is sadly useless, and letting him out of the stable means wasting a day trying to catch him to get him back in. You cannot ride him.

The Wonderful system essentially lets you customize your tools, instead of upgrading them. You'll start with none, but you can buy a few from Chen to start (and more every Winter), win them from festivals, get them by reaching the bottom of the mine, and get one on your anniversary. Different colored Wonderfuls do different things when you add them into a tool slot, like Oranges are a product/material multiplier on most tools, so you can get more Milk when you milk cows, more ore when you smash stones, more wood when you chop stumps and so on. In order to make your Watering Can water 3x3 you need 2 Reds and a Blue, but you don't have to stop there. You could make a Watering Can that can get half your field in one big swish. With 5 Oranges, you can even give it infinite water, so you never have to stop at a pond again. Yeah, its a far fetched magical system, but so is finding cursed tools and blessing them. I enjoy having creative control over my tools and what they can do.

The Degree system is another big difference from most HM games. Degrees are like a hidden score, and you need a certain score to unlock things in the game. For example, when you get a fishing rod, you can't just go out and catch Large Fish and Pirate Treasure. At first you can only catch Small Fish and trash, but as your Fishing Degree gets higher by actually fishing and shipping your catches, you unlock Medium and then Large Fish. Crops Degree unlocks harder but more profitable crops; Mining Degree unlocks deeper levels of the mine; Cooking Degree unlocks more complicated recipes.
One tip, if you choose to play this game, do a search for "stack glitch" before you get started.

There are plenty of perfectly familiar things from DS and FoMT, like the marriage system; Accessories, which yield some great items like Turbo Shoes, Friendship Pentants, and the Time Slow Ring; the shipping bin (not present in GB), tons of farm/house upgrades and the Greenhouse, and sprites you can hire to work for you. You also can have a child (a selling point for some), which is actually crucial to finishing the storyline and takes a long time to progress from pregnant to baby to crawling to child (turnoff for others). There's some familiar faces: Cliff, Popuri and Karen, and the Doctor, and the Gourmet's son Pierre. Also, Taro is humorously and mysteriously like a Jack from another life.

As was said, HM:SI is very satisfying in terms of sheer content and challenge.

I wish I could tell you a bit about Tale of Two Towns but I haven't had a chance to play it, though I bought it for my sister for Christmas and she seems to like it. Some of the more interesting things I've heard include horse carts for shipping instead of shipping bins, the ability to date and a few possible "reverse" proposals (they ask you to marry instead), and an irrigation system.
Mila
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Oh wow, thank you both so much!! :lala:

Especially basket_case, that was an incredibly thorough review of the pros and cons! I guess I'll just look around and see if I can find some to rent before I make up my mind...
Melian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Aside from the water/sun point which is a pain, I think SI is the best choice. You begin slowly because you need experieve for everything, but isn't that way in real life?
camlovercam12345
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Well, if you want to go for ease of play, GB is the way to go. Both SI and ToTT have enough content in them to overwhelm even long time veteran HM players. But in terms of playing satisfaction, SI and ToTT completely blow GB out of the water. Honestly, you might want to see if you can borrow or rent these games before you make up your mind about what you want.
Same here.
Cherry Blossom
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

I don't think so, because of the sun/water point system and the sunstones.
It gets pretty tedious, but it's still an enjoyable game.
I suggest you get ToTT or GB first, though.
pshycho
Disabled: By request

Post  Posted:

I would suggest getting ToTT first. Although GrB is easier in my opinion, I wouldn't want someone who has never played before to think that the game is super easier and boring, hence why I think ToTT would be better. It's ultimately up to you though, and I would like to side with everyone else on the "rent the game first" boat. SI and IoH was hard even for the 'veteran' farmers, so I suggest getting that one once you feel that you have the hang of the 'basics' of HM

EDIT:: eff sorry I didn't notice the dates before posting :/
Eaglestar51
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I'm a beginner, as well. My first game ever was ToTT, and I didn't have any trouble with it. I did get a little impatient with it, though. Sunshine islands is a lot bigger and there are more things to do, so if you want a nice, simple game, go with ToTT. The story line stinks, by the way.
Emperess of Flowers
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I think Grand bazaar is a pretty good game for starting out, but this could be because this was the first game I got and I'm pretty partial to it. If you play Grand Bazaar, MARRY ANGELO. When you wake up in the mornings (after marriage) you find him sitting by your bed and he says "Every day I'm with you is a great one!" He is sort of Childlike as far as looks go, but he's really sweet, sensitive, artsy, perfect. I love Angelo.
Here is a picture of him.