Is it any good?

Nintendo DS [ Game Guide ]
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I was thinking about hunting up either IoH or Grand Bazaar. What are they like? Are they any good? Thanks in advance!
EDIT: Or MFoMT
EDIT: Is Sunshine Islands any different from IoH? Because if so, I would like to know about it, as well.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

IoH is good. Grand Bazaar is not.

MFoMT is also good. It (and/or FoMT) are a lot of people's favorite(s).

SI is very different from IoH. The only real similarities are cast, setting, and the sun/water point system. SI has a more focused storyline and more attention is given to the non-marriageables.
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I actually did a little research while waiting for opinions, so I could sit here and not be confused: Touch screen-only (IoH) will NOT do it for me! I went on eBay and searched up MFoMT and « I Love Harris! », IS IT EXPENSIVE! So no MFoMT for little Ace over here... Grand Bazaar actually sounds kind of cool to me, but the bazaar sound...convoluted. Is that the right word? But Sunshine Islands sounds cool! What do you think? Should I get SI?
Last edited by JunkerFarmer on Apr 13, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I'm sorry if that sounded rude. :oops: This is more of an opinion net than a facts thread, and I'm simply putting my two cents in as the OP. I'm seriously considering SI, but I've already ruled out IoH on the grounds of touch-only controls. The others that are listed, however, are also fair game.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

SI is definitely a better choice than Grand Bazaar. The Bazaar is really the only interesting thing about that game (though jumping is also fun). There's not much else to do, limited storage space, and the only way to sell items you don't plan on selling in the Bazaar is to sell them to Raul, which takes forever if you have a lot. It's a good game if you've never played HM before (though even then I'd recommend Tale of Two Towns before Bland Bazaar), but if you've been playing for a while you'll be bored.

Plus, it commits the cardinal sin of having only one seed per bag whilst having said bags cost the same as a bag of nine seeds in IoH and SI. Which is not cool. And makes no sense. And is stupid. And I hate it. And « Snuggly Bunny » this game.

SI, on the other had, is chock full of things to do. It's also a lot of fun to do those things. It's one of the better installments in the series.
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Thanks! What about MFOMT? Should I ask for it for Christmas? ( I know it's April, but still...) Because it is WAY expensive!
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you're interested in it. It doesn't really have any plot, so it depends on how important that sort of thing is to you. Otherwise, it's not one of my personal favorites, but it's still very good.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you're interested in MFoMT, but you don't have enough money, maybe get DS Cute and if you have a friend who owns either FoMT or MFoMT you can get the guys from the latter two games into DS Cute so long as one of you has a DS Lite or the first DS.

As for SI vs. GrB vs. ToTT, I would suggest ToTT > SI > GrB.

I personally love ToTT even though a lot of people didn't like waiting for farm expansions and tunnel expansions. I didn't like it either, but I was able to look past it and enjoy it. This game was designed to have players play past year 2 or 3, so if you're impatient, this game isn't for you.

I prefer SI to IoH mainly because I detested the controls for IoH and I hated when people moved away just because I ignored them and/or didn't do what they want. It's not like I'm the only person on the island! If you like collecting items while doing various tasks, this game would be for you. In order to finish the story completely, you need to find all 100 stones which requires you to get married so if you don't plan to get married, but you want to finish the story, maybe avoid this one. I also didn't like the sun/water point system in both games so there's that.

GrB is one I'd recommend to people just starting the Harvest Moon series. Jumping is hilarious, but the bazaar system, while interesting, wasn't great. It was the only way you can make money and it was once a week on either Saturday or Sunday. If both days are occupied by a villager's birthday(?) or a festival then there's no bazaar. You can always sell things to Raul, the general store owner, but it would be at a terrible price.
2ndPokéMaster
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I honestly don't lie TOTT. The characters felt lie living props to me.
Also, I have a friend who plays Rune Factory, but no friends who play actual Harvest Moon.
(Just noticed I'm logged out. It's 2PM here.)
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

^That's me.
Leggospasta
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I liked SI, not as much as I liked some of the other HM's, but its defs better than IoH! SI is interesting though, and I really liked that they tried to do something a little different. I actually really liked some of the characters from the IoH and SI series as well. SI is definitely one to have a crack at.

As far as MFoMT is concerned...The original (Friends of Mineral town) was one of the first harvest moon games I bought, FoMT and MFoMT have so much re-playability, I literally just started a new save file the other day to have yet another swing! (I got this game over 10 years ago!!) The characters are really, really memorable, and the actual farming aspect is really fun, and it has one of the best mines, and some awesome secrets! You won't regret your purchase, even if it is a little expensive. MFoMT is a total classic.

I personally love ToTT even though a lot of people didn't like waiting for farm expansions and tunnel expansions. I didn't like it either, but I was able to look past it and enjoy it. This game was designed to have players play past year 2 or 3, so if you're impatient, this game isn't for you.
Pretty much, exactly this ^^.

I liked ToTT to an extent...I found it was super difficult to get into. Its a really PRETTY game, but the characters are kinda meh. I really liked the whole fish catching/critter catching system though.

As far as GrB goes, I have not played it. To be honest, I probably won't ever play it based around the criticism.
JunkerFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I can't believe that someone agrees on the blandness of TOTT's characters!
I just KNOW that MFoMT would be good, but it's so expensive that I won't get it for a long while...
I'm actually getting SI. SI confirmed. I just recently found out. Thanks so much, guys!