Am I the only one who DOESNT like having both genders? (RF4)

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Lilycove
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I understand that being able to play both genders makes the game more accessible to more players, but there's one major reason I dislike this option for handheld RF games

There's only so much space on those tiny game cartridges for bachelors and bachelorettes, thus, less choices as a single gender.

I always play as a male, and I loved RF3 because there were so many characters to get to know, and eventually choose.. I'm fearing that the new game (RF4) will be similar to ToTT, which felt so limited to me, and I ended up not really liking any of the dateable characters enough to play it ever again, unlike RF3 which I've played through 3 times...

I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same, and what ya'll think of the new game having both genders as playable..?
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I doubt you are the only one who feels that way. But I'm not one of them. I think it's awesome. When it comes to HM I always play as both genders and now I can do that with RF too.

It's not like anyone needs ten+ plus women to choose from. And I personally think six/seven is a perfectly fine amount. But hey that's my opinion. People like different things in games. There is nothing wrong with that. They can't please everyone though. There is always gonna be part of the fan base who aren't happy. In the past it was people who wanted to play as a female and marry males. This time around I got what I wanted. But that means other people didn't. So I am sorry for your loss.

(I'm feeling good though X3.)
boxerlover25
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Well I've always enjoyed Rune Factory games even when they have been limited to a male version, but playing as a girl is more fun for me since I am a girl. And Rune Factory always throws in these HOT guys, and then you can't marry them. So I'm honestly excited to get to be a girl. And it's not like they could make a Rune Factory with only a female MC because that would probably lose the chance of attracting new male players.

So I get where you're coming from that now each file will have less choices, but I think it's worth it. I'm ready to kick some monster bootay as a girl and I can't wait :D
dyll
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

i think it's good that they have both genders the big part of people who play this game are women and the closet thing they had for a female mc was aria and sonia

and she was just a late choice
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can take it or leave it. It's nice to be able to pick which gender I'd rather play as, but I don't mind being stuck with one.
Lexy Jenrex
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't... really care. At least the female protag is actually built into the game from the ground up instead of shoehorned though. Still don't like her though, hate her design. Would prefer a cool looking female protagonist.

But having so many bachelor/ettes does have a visible effect on the quality at least in HM. Marvelous =/= Neverland though so perhaps they can still maintain quality.
soluna
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm not bothered by it at all. I like having variety, yes, but there's still just as much people as there would be if there was only one gender. they just wouldn't be dateable. At least, that's how I see it.

To add on to that, I don't mind there being less bachelors and bachelorettes for each gender because there's still going to be a total that's about equal to the previous games anyway, so I just need to play as both genders. (TOD doesn't count here, though.)

Besides, there's already five bachelorettes, plus two more so far not yet revealed, so that's seven. There's also two bachelors not yet revealed, and we currently have four, so that's six. Thirteen in total at the moment, which will very likely be fourteen, plus ~eight villagers, so I'm happy!

There were eleven bachelorettes in RF3 and twenty-four villagers in total, so you'll still be able to get to know a lot of characters.
Part-Time Plower
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I don't really mind. I don't need a lot of choices. I would've been fine with just three choices, actually.
Cocovet
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I would actually like to play as a male and female.How other characters react would be different and I find that interesting.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

A 3ds cartridge has WAY more space than a DS one.

And from what I can tell, there are plenty of choices for both the male and female protagonist in this game as far as who to date... if LoB is any indicator of what a 3ds RF could be capable of, I'm not worried at all when it comes to characters, at least. Unless they plain end up being poorly written, but that's a different problem.
Jlarinda
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I always play as a male, and I loved RF3 because there were so many characters to get to know, and eventually choose..
Well, imagine if you were forced to always play as a girl, and to only pick among male candidates. Wouldn't that suck? That's how it was for all the female players in most of the RF games.
Emily Elizabeth
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Playing as a female will be AWESOME, we'll get to craft swor, use those swords. at last females can be the heroine instead of being saved, we'll be at the front of the battle right from the start!

three cheers to be able to play your own gender right from the start!!
Daisuke Tsubasa
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I prefer quality over quantity. More doesn't always mean instantly good. I like the idea of RF games having both genders, it gives the town a livelier kind of variety.
Nurse Fin wrote:
And from what I can tell, there are plenty of choices for both the male and female protagonist in this game as far as who to date... if LoB is any indicator of what a 3ds RF could be capable of, I'm not worried at all when it comes to characters, at least. Unless they plain end up being poorly written, but that's a different problem.
True, the 3DS is capable of a lot of things. Despite its rocky path, each RF has been a step up from its predecessor. And given Hashimoto seems like he's done a good job with LoB's production, I dont think there'd be much to worry about RF4, especially since he emphasized character depth in his interviews.
Part-Time Plower
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

^ Very good point. I think I actually do like having bachelors because it makes the gender ratio more balanced. I need some bros too!
Emily Elizabeth

Post  Posted:

hehe it seems EVERYONE likes a girl being on the MCP list!!!